World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Mount Gulian

Article Id: WHEBN0006034795
Reproduction Date:

Title: Mount Gulian  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Society of the Cincinnati, Van Wyck Homestead, Daniel C. Verplanck, Gulian C. Verplanck
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Mount Gulian

Mount Gulian
Mount Gulian manor house
Location Town of Fishkill, NY
Nearest city Beacon

41°31′17″N 73°58′49″W / 41.52139°N 73.98028°W / 41.52139; -73.98028Coordinates: 41°31′17″N 73°58′49″W / 41.52139°N 73.98028°W / 41.52139; -73.98028

Built 1730s
Architect Philip and Guilian Verplanck
Architectural style Colonial
Governing body Mount Gulian Society
NRHP Reference # 82001152
Added to NRHP 1982

Mount Gulian is a reconstructed 18th century Dutch manor house on the Hudson River in the town of Fishkill, New York, United States of America. The original house served as the headquarters of Major General Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben during the American Revolutionary War and was the place where the Society of the Cincinnati was founded. The site is registered as a National Historic Landmark.


The land on which the house stands was purchased from the Wappinger Native Americans by two fur traders, Francis Rombout and Gulian Verplanck on August 8, 1683. In exchange for 85,000 acres (344 square kilometers) of land, they paid about 1,250 dollars in goods. The Rombout Patent which formally granted the land to Francis Rombout and Gulian Verplanck was issued by King James II of England on October 17, 1685. Guilian Verplanck II, a merchant from New York City, had the first house on the site built between 1730 and 1740. The building was a small structure with an A-roof. Archaeological evidence suggests it was probably enlarged around 1767 and the characteristic gambrel roof as well as two porches were added between this year and the American Revolutionary War. During this war, Gulian Verplanck's son Samuel and his wife Judith Crommelin vacated the house and moved to New York City. In early 1783 Major General Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben made Mount Gulian his headquarters. At the same time, George Washington had his headquarters in Hasbrouck House, Newburgh on the opposite side of the Hudson River.

On the morning of May 13, 1783, a group of officers of the Continental Army met at Mount Gulian to found the Society of the Cincinnati. The building was extended by in 1804 by Daniel Crommelin Verplanck, the grandson of Gulian Verplanck II, who also laid out the garden. When Marquis de Lafayette visited the house on his return to America in 1824, he stayed in the new addition.

The original mansion was destroyed in a fire laid by an arsonist in 1931. After this, the ruin of the house was left unattended until 1966, when Bache Bleecker, a descendant of the Verplanck family, and his wife Connie founded the Mount Gulian Society, as a nonprofit, private organization. The goal of the society was restoration of Mount Gulian which was completed in 1975. The restoration reconstructed the house to the state it was in when it served as von Steuben's headquarters. Later additions were left out. Since then, the building has been accessible to the public as a museum. Also on the site is an 18th-century Dutch barn, which was moved to this location from Hopewell Junction.

See also

Hudson Valley portal


The street address of the Mount Gulian mansion is 145 Sterling Street, Beacon, NY 12524, USA.

References and external links

  • official website
  • Article on the foundation of the Society of the Cincinnati
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.