World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Municipal Borough of Acton

Article Id: WHEBN0002755850
Reproduction Date:

Title: Municipal Borough of Acton  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Acton, London, London Government Act 1963, Middlesex, History of Ealing, History of local government in Middlesex
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Municipal Borough of Acton


Acton Town Hall (1910, extended 1939)

Acton within Middlesex in 1961
 • 1894 2,305 acres (9.3 km2)
 • 1965 2,320 acres (9.4 km2)
 • 1901 37,744
 • 1961 65,586
 • Created 1894
 • Abolished 1965
 • Succeeded by London Borough of Ealing
Status Local board (1865 to 1894)
Urban district (1894 to 1921)
Municipal borough (from 1921)
Civil parish
 • Motto Floreat Actona (May Acton flourish)
Arms of the municipal borough
Arms of the borough council

Acton was a local government district in Middlesex, England from 1865 to 1965.

In 1865 the Local Government Act 1858 was adopted by the parish of Acton, and a twelve-member local board of health was formed to govern the area. The Local Government Act 1894 constituted the area an urban district, and an urban district council of fifteen councillors replaced the local board. The number of councillors was increased to sixteen in 1906.

In 1921 the town was granted a charter of incorporation to become a municipal borough. The borough council consisted of a mayor, six aldermen and twenty-four councillors.

On incorporation in 1921 the borough was granted a coat of arms by the College of Arms. The shield featured an oak tree and the crest a branch of oak, both in reference to the derivation of the name "Acton" from "Oak Town". At the top of the shield were the arms of Middlesex County Council between an open book and a cogwheel for education and industry in the borough respectively.[1]

Prior to the Second World War the borough council was controlled by the Conservative Party. In post-war elections control passed to the Labour Party.[2]

In 1965 the municipal borough was abolished and its former area transferred to Greater London to be combined with that of other districts to form the London Borough of Ealing. The oak from the coat of arms is now present in the coat of arms of the London Borough of Ealing.

See also


  1. ^ , Civic Heraldry of England and Wales, accessed January 22, 2008Acton Borough Council
  2. ^ , Vol. 7 (British History Online), accessed January 22, 2008Victoria County History of Middlesex, in Acton: Local Government

External links

  • Vision of Britain - Action UD / MB

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.