World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Municipal Borough of Wood Green

Article Id: WHEBN0002755846
Reproduction Date:

Title: Municipal Borough of Wood Green  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: London Government Act 1963, Municipal Borough of Tottenham, Municipal Borough of Hornsey, London Borough of Haringey, Middlesex
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Municipal Borough of Wood Green

Wood Green

Wood Green within Middlesex in 1961
Area
 • 1901 1,625 acres (6.6 km2)
 • 1965 1,697 acres (6.9 km2)
Population
 • 1901 34,223
 • 1961 47,945
History
 • Created 1888
 • Abolished 1965
 • Succeeded by London Borough of Haringey
Status Local board 1888 – 1894
Urban district 1894 – 1933
Municipal borough From 1933
 • HQ Woodside House, Wood Green
 • Motto Nostrum Viret Robur
The Arms of The Municipal Borough of Wood Green
Coat of arms of the municipal borough council

Wood Green was a local government district in south east Middlesex from 1888 to 1965.

Until 1888 Wood Green was part of Tottenham, and was included in the district of the Tottenham Local Board in 1850. Pressure from residents of the area led to the passing of the Tottenham Local Board (Division of District) Act 1888, constituting a separate local board for the area.[1]

In 1894, under the local Government Act of that year, Wood Green became an urban district. In 1933 it was incorporated as a municipal borough. It was part of the London postal district and Metropolitan Police District.

A coat of arms was granted to the borough on incorporation. The shield featured yew trees and was supported by medieval archers, recalling that Wood Green had once been an area where archery was practised. A silver and blue stripe across the centre of the shield depicted the New River. The Latin motto was nostrum viret robur, which could be translated as our strength is a tree or more appropriately as Wood Green Flourishes.[2]

In 1965, the municipal borough was abolished and its area was transferred to Greater London under the London Government Act 1963. Wood Green's area was combined with the Municipal Borough of Tottenham and the Municipal Borough of Hornsey to form the present-day London Borough of Haringey.

References

  1. ^ 51 & 52 Vict. c. 187
  2. ^ Letters Patent dated August 1, 1933
  • Local Government Act 1894
  • London Government Act 1963

External links

  • A Vision of Britain - Wood Green UD/MB
  • Tottenham Local Government, Victoria County History of Middlesex (British History Online)


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.