World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Nayemont-les-Fosses

Article Id: WHEBN0015922981
Reproduction Date:

Title: Nayemont-les-Fosses  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Vosges department, Arches, Vosges, Archettes, Barbey-Seroux, Champdray
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Nayemont-les-Fosses

Nayemont-les-Fosses
View of Nayemont-les-Fosses, with Saint-Dié-des-Vosges in the background
View of Nayemont-les-Fosses, with Saint-Dié-des-Vosges in the background
Nayemont-les-Fosses is located in France
Nayemont-les-Fosses
Nayemont-les-Fosses
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Lorraine
Department Vosges
Arrondissement Saint-Dié-des-Vosges
Canton Saint-Dié-des-Vosges-Est
Intercommunality Association of Fave and Meurthe communes
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008–2014) Patrice Fève
Area1 8.91 km2 (3.44 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 923
 • Density 100/km2 (270/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 88320 / 88100
Elevation 345–890 m (1,132–2,920 ft)
(avg. 500 m or 1,600 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Nayemont-les-Fosses is a commune in the Vosges department in Lorraine in northeastern France.

Inhabitants are called Nayemontais.

Geography

The commune is adjacent to Saint-Dié-des-Vosges, on its eastern side, and on the sunny side of the Ormont Hills. The commune's territory extends to the right bank of the little River Fave. The mountain topography enforces a somewhat dispersed layout for the commune's settlements, which include both the village of Nayemont itself and various hamlets such as Brompont, les Basses Fosses, les Hautes Fosses and Menumont.

History

Archaeological discoveries indicate significant human presence here both during the later Neolithic period and subsequently. Presumably the district shared in the switch from a nomadic hunting existence to one involving settlement and agriculture. Presumably, too, the area had its share of fighting and conquest.

During the first millennium, the end of the Gallo-Roman period was accompanied by the disappearance of central authority. It was a troubled period for Lorraine, characterised by wars and the disappearances - presumably following violent assaults - of settled communities. However, the construction on the hill a little to the east of the present day village, of Spitzemberg Castle around 900 indicates an attempt to achieve greater permanence amid the ruins of the Gallo-Roman civilisation. During the Hungarian invasions castles such as this provided a refuge for threatened villagers.

The Lordship of Spitzemberg fell within the Duchy of Lorraine, created in 959 by the German Emperor, Otto I. Lorraine remained subject to the German emperors until the early fifteenth century which ushered in several uncomfortable centuries during which Lorraine would find itself one of several buffer states lodged between the conflicting territorial ambitions of The Empire and of France.

Meanwhile, in the twelfth century the district belonged to the Lords of Paroye until, in 1243, the Dukes of Lorraine themselves acquired the castle, where they installed a garrison: a principal objective of building up and maintaining the castle in this way was the defence of nearby Saint-Dié-des-Vosges to the west. The village o Ayemont (Nayemont) along with the settlements at Les Hautes-Fosses and Les Basse Fosses were part of the domain supporting and dependent of the castle.

The 1550s found the powerful regent Christina, Danish born widow of the former Duke of Lorraine, residing at Spitzemberg Castle. During the time of the dowager duchess Christina, the local inhabitants were granted usage rights to the woods in the lower land around Ayemont which was, at this time, the principal village in the Spitzemberg deanery, with responsibility over the nearby hamlets of Hautes Fosses and Basse Fosses, and under the bailiwick of Saint-Dié. Christina enjoyed her walks and also arranged for the construction and maintenance of a network of forest paths, one of which is still known as "Queen's Path" ("Chemin de la Reine"). The locals were expected to provide some form of military service (guard duty) to the castle, but this could be replaced by a tax in kind, commonly involving rye or oats.

Then as now, the village had no church of its own, being ecclesiastically dependent on the parish of Sainte-Marguerite, a short walk to the south.

Between 1790 and Year X (1801/02) Ayemont, which by now had become Nayemont, was part of the commune of Bertrimoutier.

See also

References

  • INSEE
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.