World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Newark Schools Stadium

Newark Schools Stadium
Location 450 Bloomfield Avenue, Roseville, Newark, New Jersey 07102
Coordinates
Capacity 15,000
Surface Grass (original stadium)
Artificial (current)
Construction
Opened 1925 (original stadium)
2011 (current stadium)
Demolished 2009
Tenants
Newark Stars (Negro Leagues)
Newark Tornadoes (NFL) (1930)
Newark Tornadoes (AA) (1930, 1937-1938)
Newark Bears (AA) (1939-1941, 1963-1964))
Newark Ukrainian Sitch (ASL) (1967-1968)
Newark City Schools (1925-2006)

Newark Schools Stadium (nicknamed "The Old Lady of Bloomfield Avenue") is the name of two stadiums that were both located on Bloomfield Avenue between Abingdon and Roseville Avenues in the Roseville section of Newark, New Jersey.

The first stadium was used primarily for football and was built in 1925. It was the home of the Newark Tornadoes of the National Football League during the 1930 season. The stadium was used for high school football until 2006. Baseball's Newark Stars of the Eastern Colored League, which was a part of the Negro Leagues, also used the stadium in 1926. Its primary use, however, was for Newark's high schools. The original stadium was a reinforced concrete horseshoe shaped venue that had a maximum seating capacity of 25,000.

The original stadium was condemned in 2006 and demolished in 2009. In its place, a brand new Schools Stadium was constructed on the site and the new stadium opened in 2011.

The current Schools Stadium shares some design elements with its predecessor but seats far fewer people (5,600) in two metal bleacher sections. It currently plays host to football games played by Barringer High School and East Side High School. The new Schools Stadium is one of three venues used by Newark's high schools, with Untermann Field at Weequahic High School and Shabazz Stadium at Malcolm X Shabazz High School the other two.

Contents

  • Soccer 1
  • Football 2
  • Baseball 3
  • Track and field 4
  • Riots 5
  • Decline and a new stadium 6
  • References 7

Soccer

For the 1967-68 ASL (American Soccer League) season, the Newark Ukrainian Sitch club moved its home games to this field. Prior to that season, 'Sitch' played at Ironbound field. The move to an approx. 25,000 capacity ground was welcomed as an improvement. The crowds never filled the stadium however and the Ukrainian Weekly refers to crowds only in the hundreds rather than thousands.[1]

Football

After the Tornadoes folded, Newark's Chicago Bears, and called the Newark Bears. Most of Newark's public school football teams played at the stadium as well until 2006. The Stadium also served, since 1955 until its closing for reconstruction, as the home of the North Newark Little League (formerly the Saint Francis Xavier Little League).

Baseball

Schools Stadium was also used for baseball. In 1926, the Newark Stars of the Negro Leagues played at stadium. When the stadium was configured for baseball, the distance down the foul lines was so short, that balls hit over the fence were ground rule doubles. High school teams also used the field for baseball until 2006. The Stadium was also the original home of what has become one of the largest youth baseball programs in the City of Newark - the North Newark Little League. Formerly the St. Francis Xavier Little League, the youth of the program utilized the baseball fields from 1955. It was the last organization to have continued use of the facility (even after it was condemned in 2006)right up to the point of its closing for reconstruction.

Track and field

Olympian Jesse Owens, once ran track there and lost to a Newark local named Eulace Peacock. Meanwhile another Olympian, Milt Campbell began his track career at Newark Schools Stadium. The National Women's Olympic Trials also were held in the stadium in 1928.

Riots

During the 1967 Newark riots, Schools Stadium served as the staging area for the New Jersey National Guard, who were summoned to Newark to reinforce the overwhelmed Newark Police Department.

Decline and a new stadium

Years of neglect allowed the stadium to experience a large amount of deterioration and compromised structural integrity. At various points in its later years, parts of the stadium's wooden bleachers were blocked off with fencing to prevent spectators from sitting in these seats.

In 2006, a capital bond request was approved by the Newark City Council that included $63.7 million in funding for 14 projects that ranged from a new robotics center to the rebuilding of Schools Stadium. In Fall 2006, Schools Stadium was condemned and three years later the stadium was demolished. All the schools that were using the venue for football saw their games moved to either Untermann Field at Weequahic High School or Shabazz Stadium at Malcolm X Shabazz High School, which were already shared by several schools.

A new Schools Stadium was constructed on the site of the old stadium and opened in 2011.

Preceded by
Knights of Columbus Stadium
Home of the Orange A.C.- Orange/Newark Tornadoes
1930
Succeeded by
Newark Velodrome
Preceded by
Knights of Columbus Stadium
Home of the Orange A.C.- Orange/Newark Tornadoes
1937-1965
Succeeded by
None

References

  1. ^ The Ukrainian Weekly, September 30, 1967 (online archive at http://www.ukrweekly.com)
  • 1930 NFL season summary
  • Izenberg: A dream turns into a shame: Newark Schools Stadium to be demolished
  • Construction of new super site finally underway at iconic Newark Schools Stadium
  • Baseball Fever: List of Negro League stadiums
  • Project Ballpark: Newark Schools Stadium
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.