Newton St. Petrock

Coordinates: 50°54′22″N 4°15′07″W / 50.906°N 4.252°W / 50.906; -4.252 Newton St Petrock is an ecclesiastical and civil parish in the Torridge District of Devon in England, occupying approximately 1,500 acres (6.1 km2). It has a population in 2001 of 163.[1]

A mile to the east of the village are the earthwork remains of Durpley Castle, a medieval motte-and-bailey.

The parish’s famous landmark is an ancient oak. It’s profile is, appropriately, that of an acorn whose western border follows the River Torridge. It is contiguous with the parishes of Abbots Bickington, Bulkworthy, Shebbear and Milton Damerel. King Athelstan, in the 10th century, granted the lands of "Niwantun" to the priests of St Petroc's minster at Bodmin. The boundaries of St Petroc’s Niwantun remain exactly the same today with the exception of some expansion to the ecclesiastical and civil parish on its north side to include part of what was called Cleave in the Middle Ages and what was once part of the parish of Frithelstock in the 19th century. The population of this rural parish has remained remarkably stable over the last two centuries. In 1801, the population was 201 and this had fallen to 163 by 2001. In the late 17th century Newton St Petrock was the home of England’s first female physician, Prudence Abbott Potter. A 19th-century rector, John Lemprière, wrote a Classical Dictionary used for generations in schools throughout the English-speaking world.

A Baptist church was opened at Newton St Petrock on 19 January 1830 on the property of Mr Frank Thorne, the local blacksmith, who might be considered the first pastor although the cause began twelve years earlier when the Rev. John Gould retired from Croyde and settled in the parish. (2)

The Land Tax Assessment for 1832 has the following Occupiers:Properties:- John King: Lane, Dingle Park, and Francesmeadow ; Richard Beare: East Hole, and North Hawkwill; William Blight: Ven; John Ball: Jeans Westhole, Bridgements Westhole, Rogerments Westhole, and Barness; William Cobbledick: Newton Mill Tenement; William White: Newton Mills; John Cobbledick: Holwill; John Osborn: South Hawkwill; William Sanders: Higher Slew, Lower Slew; Chapple, and Ford; Richard Quance: Higher Coham, and Lower Coham; John Brent: Down; Samuel Fishleigh: Bridge; John Thorne: Higher Westhole; Thomas Rees: Stone Park; John Western: Suddon; and Edmund Palmer: Bridge Ham.

Like most North Devon parishes many of its sons and daughters emigrated to Canada and elsewhere in the second half of the 19th century.

References

  • Newton St. Petrock Baptist Church Ter-Jubilee by R.A.W. Quance 1980

External links

Template:Sister-inline

Template:Torridge


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.