World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 127 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0025932457
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 127 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: No. 261 Squadron RAF, No. 132 Wing RAF, Gaza Airstrip, RAF Nicosia, RAF Lympne
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 127 Squadron RAF

No. 127 Squadron RAF
Active (RFC) 1 March 1918 - 4 July 1918
(RAF) 29 June 1941 - 30 April 1945
Country United Kingdom
Branch Royal Air Force
Role Fighter Command.
Motto Eothen (Out of the East)
Aircraft Gladiator
Hurricane
Spitfire
Battle honours World War II
• Home Defence
• Middle East
• Italy
• Western Desert
• Invasion of Europe
Insignia
Squadron Badge heraldry A tarantula.
Squadron Codes HF allocated April 1939 - September 1939
EJ June 1942 - January 1943
9N April 1944 - April 1945

No. 127 Squadron RAF was a squadron of the United Kingdom's Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force.

History

No. 127 Squadron was formed on 1 February 1918 as a day bomber unit but was disbanded on 4 July 1918 before becoming operational.

On 29 June 1941, a detachment of four Hurricanes and four Gladiators to be based at Haditha in Iraq was re-designated No. 127 Squadron. During the occupation of Syria in July it flew fighter and reconnaissance missions until it was renumbered No. 261 Squadron on 12 July 1941. No. 127 reformed at Kasfareet from a detachment of ground personnel from No. 249 Squadron and acted as a servicing echelon until receiving Hurricanes in March 1942. In June the Squadron moved to the Western Desert for fighter operations before being placed on air defence duties in Egypt in September. In April 1944 the Squadron moved back to the UK and re-assembled at North Weald on 23 April. Operations with Spitfire fighter-bomber missions began on 19 May and in August 1944 the Squadron moved to France where it flew fighter-bomber sweeps until disbanding on 30 April 1945.

External links

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/127squadron.cfm

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.