World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 167 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0020946243
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 167 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Vickers Warwick, RAF Abingdon, Handley Page V/1500, Leonard Henry Trent, No. 118 Squadron RAF, RAF Blackbushe, RAF Bircham Newton, RAF Scorton, Vickers Valetta, List of Supermarine Spitfire operators
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 167 Squadron RAF

No.167 Squadron was formed during November 1918 at Bircham Newton as the second heavy bomber squadron in No.27 Group. It was intended to operate Handley Page V/1500 four-engined bombers but the Armistice came before bombing raids on Germany could begin and the squadron disbanded on 21 May 1919.

On 6 April 1942, No.167 reformed at Scorton as a fighter squadron and became operational on 8 May. Next month it arrived back in the north of Scotland to provide air defence for the fleet base at Scapa Flow and coastal convoys. In October 1942, the squadron moved to East Anglia for shipping reconnaissance and intruder missions over the Low Countries. Many of the pilots flying with No.167 were Dutch and it was decided to make the Squadron a Wholly Dutch Formation. This took place on the 12 June 1943, when it was renumbered 322 Squadron.

On 21 October 1944, No.167 reformed at RAF Holmsley South as a transport squadron in No.110 Wing. Warwicks were received in November and began flying regular services to various allied bases in Europe and West Africa. In May 1945, a flight of Ansons was operated on short-range routes. In July Warwicks were taken out of service for technical problems to be solved, crews in the meantime flying Dakotas with No.147 Squadron until Warwicks resumed operating in September. On 1 February 1946, the squadron was disbanded.

On 1 February 1953, No.3 (Long-range) Ferry Unit at Abingdon was redesignated No.167 Squadron. It was engaged in ferrying aircraft to units overseas until it merged with No.147 Squadron to form the Ferry Squadron on 15 September 1958.

External links

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/167squadron.cfm

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.