World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 224 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0014970429
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 224 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: RAF Coastal Command order of battle during World War II, RAF Milltown, RAF Thornaby, No. 334 Squadron RAF, No. 69 Squadron RAF
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 224 Squadron RAF

No. 224 Squadron RAF
Active 1 April 1918 - May 1919
1 February 1937 – 31 October 1966
Country  United Kingdom
Branch  Royal Air Force
Size Squadron
Motto Fedele all'amico
(Italian) "Faithful to a friend"

No. 224 Squadron RAF was a Royal Air Force squadron that saw service in both the First and Second World Wars.

History

It was formed on 1 April 1918, at Alimini, Italy from part of No. 6 Wing RNAS, equipped with the de Havilland DH.4. In June 1918 it re-equipped with the de Havilland DH.9. The squadron moved to Taranto in December 1918, disbanding there in May 1919.

Securing bombs in a 224 Squadron Hudson at RAF Leuchars
224 Squadron Liberator crew at RAF St Eval after sinking two U-boats on a single sortie, June 1942

On 1 February 1937, the squadron reformed at Manston, when No. 48 Squadron was renumbered. It then moved to Boscombe Down and was equipped with Avro Ansons for reconnaissance duties. In August 1938 the squadron moved to Leuchars, and from May 1939 began re-equipping with the Lockheed Hudson.

The squadron moved to Limavady in April 1941, and St Eval in December 1941. In February 1942 it returned to Limavady and moved to Tiree in April 1942 where it converted to Consolidated Liberators. In September 1942 the squadron moved; first to Beaulieu, then St Eval in April 1943, and Milltown, Scotland in September 1944. The squadron returned to St Eval in July 1945 where it converted to Avro Lancasters in October 1946. The squadron disbanded on 10 November 1947.

The squadron reformed on 1 March 1948 at RAF Aldergrove, equipped with the Handley Page Halifax. In 1951 it re-equipped with the Avro Shackleton, which it operated from RAF Gibraltar from August 1951,[1] until disbanding on 31 October 1966. During this period its main tasks were NATO maritime surveillance as well as search and rescue duties within the Gibraltar Martime Area. This area covered a large part of the eastern Atlantic as well as the western Mediterranean.[2]

Aircraft operated

References

  1. ^ Sir David Lee, Wings in the Sun, 1989, 198.
  2. ^ Wings in the Sun, 199.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.