World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 268 Squadron RAF

Article Id: WHEBN0021009709
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 268 Squadron RAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hawker Typhoon, RAF West Raynham, RAF Army Cooperation Command, No. 16 Squadron RAF, Ken Wallis, No. 487 Squadron RNZAF, RAF Snailwell, RAF Twinwood Farm, List of Westland Lysander operators, RAF Bottisham
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 268 Squadron RAF

No. 268 Squadron RAF
Active 1918–1919
1940–1945
1945–1946
Country United Kingdom
Branch Royal Air Force
Motto Adjidaumo

No. 268 Squadron RAF was a Second World War Royal Air Force squadron that operated the North American Mustang on missions over occupied Europe and in support of the D-Day landings.

History

The squadron was formed in August 1918 at Kalafrana, Malta from No. 433 and 434 Flights of the Royal Naval Air Service operating the Short 184 and Short 320 torpedo carrying floatplanes. It operated patrols in the mediterranean until the end of the First World War and was disbanded on the 11 October 1919.

On the 30 November 1940 the squadron reformed at RAF Bury St.Edmunds with the Westland Lysander. It first flew anti-invasion sorties along the English coastline but the primary role was tactical reconnaissance. The squadron deployed to RAF Penshurst from 4 to 8 August 1941. It started operations with the Curtiss Tomahawk in October 1941 but these were replaced in April 1942 with the more capable North American Mustang. It converted to the Hawker Typhoon FR IB in July 1944 and continued to support the D-Day landings with tactical reconnaissance sorties.

Built in small numbers, the FR IB was intended for photo-reconnaissance at very low level. One of the Typhoon's four cannon was removed and three F24 cameras were fitted in its place, one 14-inch (360 mm) camera pointing forwards and two vertical 5-inch (130 mm) cameras. However, although the Typhoon well regarded as a combat aircraft, the reconnaissance variant was unpopular with pilots and unsatisfactory in use as inherent engine and airframe vibrations invariably blurred the photographs.

They were replaced by Mustang MkII aircraft by Nov 1944. A further change in aircraft was effected in Sept 1945 when the Mustangs were replaced by Spitfire XIV. The squadron acquired Spitfire IXs from 16 Squadron only to be disbanded on 19 September 1945 when it was re-numbered to 16 Squadron.

Shortly afterwards on 26 October 1945 the former 487 Squadron was re-numbered as 268 Squadron. Based at Cambrai/Epinoy it was equipped with the twin-engined de Havilland Mosquito FB6 for use in the light bomber role before being finally disbanded on 31 March 1946.

Aircraft operated

[1]

Dates Aircraft Variant Notes
1918–1919 Short 184 Single-engined torpedo seaplane
1918–1919 Short 320 Single-engined torpedo seaplane
1940–1942 Westland Lysander II and then III Single-engined liaison
1941–1942 Curtiss Tomahawk IIA Single-engined fighter
1942–1944 North American Mustang I then IA Single-engined fighter
1944 Hawker Typhoon FR IB Single-engined fighter
1944–1945 North American Mustang II
1945 Supermarine Spitfire XIVe and XIX Single-engined fighter
1945–1946 de Havilland Mosquito VI Twin-engined light bomber

Notes

References

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.