World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

No. 421 Squadron RCAF

Article Id: WHEBN0027514675
Reproduction Date:

Title: No. 421 Squadron RCAF  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: RAF Kenley, RCAF Station Grostenquin, List of Royal Canadian Air Force squadrons, CFB Chatham, Redhill Aerodrome, List of Supermarine Spitfire operators, RAF Angle, RAF Bolt Head
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

No. 421 Squadron RCAF

No. 421 Squadron RCAF
Active formed during World War II.
Country  Canada
Allegiance  Canada
Branch Royal Canadian Artillery
Type Article XV squadron
Part of unit of the Royal Canadian Air Force,
Nickname Red Indian
Motto Bellicum Cecinere
Battle honours Defence of Britain 1942-43, Fortress Europe 1942-44, France and Germany 1944-45, Normandy 1944 Arnhem Rhine

No. 421 Squadron RCAF was a unit of the Royal Canadian Air Force. It was the last RCAF fighter squadron to be formed in the UK during World War II. Initially established at RAF Digby in April 1942 with Supermarine Spitfire Mk VA, the squadron moving to RAF Fairwood Common in May and received Spitfire Mk VB. During 1942 the squadron was under 10 Group and flew its mission from RAF Warmwell, RAF Bolt Head, RAF Ibsley, RAF Zeals and RAF Charmy Down.

In January 1943 the squadron joined the 127 (Canadian) Wing and moved to Redhill Aerodrome airfield. Late in spring of 1943 the squadron received Spitfire Mk IX and flew under the command of Wing Commander Johnnie Johnson.[1] In preparation for the Normandy landings the 127 Wing was assigned to RAF Second Tactical Air Force. On June 16 the squadron was along with the other squadrons of 127 Wing the first to be moved to Normandy and flew air superiority missions. After the allied breakout and quick advance towards the Reich 421 squadron was based in Evere in Belgium by October 1944. During December 1944 the squadron received Spitfire XIV. In 1945 the unit participated in the liberation of the Netherlands, before moving into Germany. At the end of the war the unit had achieved over 90 aerial victories.

Having been disbanded shortly after the war the squadron was re-activated on 15 September 1949 at Chatham flying Vampire planes from bases in the UK and later Canadair Sabre planes from France. In 1962 it was equipped with CF-104 Starfighters and in 1967 the squadron moved to Zweibrücken Air Base becoming part of 1 Air Division RCAF (later renamed 1 Canadian Air Group) based at CFB Baden-Soellingen, West Germany. During the early 80's the was equipped with CF-18 Hornets. At the end of the Cold War the squadron was disbanded and its aircraft returned to Canada.[2]

References

External links

Canadian Armed Forces portal

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.