World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Nogent-sur-Marne

Article Id: WHEBN0003116689
Reproduction Date:

Title: Nogent-sur-Marne  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Christian Vander (musician), Kareen Antonn, Paul Colin (artist), Octave Garnier, A86 autoroute
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Nogent-sur-Marne

Nogent-sur-Marne
The Pavillon Baltard
Coat of arms of Nogent-sur-Marne
Coat of arms
Paris and inner ring departments
Paris and inner ring departments
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Île-de-France
Department Val-de-Marne
Arrondissement Nogent-sur-Marne
Canton Nogent-sur-Marne
Intercommunality Vallée de la Marne
Government
 • Mayor Jacques JP Martin
Area1 2.8 km2 (1.1 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 31,276
 • Density 11,000/km2 (29,000/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 94052 / 94130
Elevation 36–99 m (118–325 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Nogent-sur-Marne is a commune in the eastern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 10.6 km (6.6 mi) from the centre of Paris. Nogent-sur-Marne is a sous-préfecture of the Val-de-Marne département, being the seat of the Arrondissement of Nogent-sur-Marne.

History

Several origins of the name are proposed:

  • Novigentum, "new people", i.e. prisoners brought by the Roman armies.
  • Nov. indicates fatty or soaked grounds.
  • Novientum which is the Gallic equivalent of Villeneuve medieval.

In the Middle Ages, several castles were built. Le Chateau de Plaisance, built in the 13th century, which hosted Charles V and Jeanne de Bourbon in 1375. The only vestige which remains is a house of the current private hospital, 30 rue de Plaisance, as well as the bottom of the enclosing wall of the gardens. Le Chateau de Beauté sur Marne, 14th century, is a royal stay. Cardinal de Richelieu destroyed it in 1626.

In the 17th century, whereas the rural population was made up of a majority of vine growers, the middle-class discovered the charms of the country, and settled in Nogent. Jean-Antoine Watteau lived in Mr. Lefevre's house his last moments and died there in 1721.

The construction of the two railway lines: Paris–Mulhouse and Bastille–La Varenne in the 1850s still accelerated the process. The viaduct, built by Auvergnats and Belgians is destroyed once in 15 September 1870. Italians rebuilt it; an Italian community was established there. Coming, for the majority, from the province of Piacenza, they were from the Valley of Nure or from the south of Tyrol.

Isolated since 1854 by the construction of a viaduct for the Paris–Mulhouse line, the commune of Le Perreux sur Marne is born after a fight of more than 10 years in 1887. On 28 February 1887, more than half of the territory of Nogent-sur-Marne was detached and became the commune of Le Perreux-sur-Marne.

In 1929, the commune of Nogent-sur-Marne lost a small part of its territory when the city of Paris annexed the Bois de Vincennes, the eastern fringe of which belonged to Nogent-sur-Marne.

Railway bridge of Nogent-sur-Marne
Nogent-sur-Marne, Leclerc square
Railway bridge of Nogent-sur-Marne

International relations

Twin towns – Sister cities

Nogent-sur-Marne is twinned with:

Transport

  • by boat, by Marne, from Paris.

Personalities

Births

Former mayors

  • Antoine Louis René Prosper Bauyn de Perreuse (1834–68)
  • Émile Brisson (1907–19)
  • Pierre Champion (1919–42)
  • Roland Nungesser (1959–95)
  • Estelle Debæker (1995–2001)

Painters of Nogent-sur-Marne

See also

References

  • INSEE
  • Mayors of Essonne Association (French)
  1. ^

External links

  • (French) Nogent-sur-Marne official website
  • (French) Nogent-sur-Marne local community website
  • (French) Association du Coteau de Nogent sur Marne Nogent-sur-Marne's association for the protection of the environment
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.