World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Northern Schleswig

Article Id: WHEBN0000045578
Reproduction Date:

Title: Northern Schleswig  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: History of Germany, Nazi Germany, Schleswig-Holstein, Treaty of Versailles, Duchy of Schleswig, History of Denmark, Ethnic Germans, Christiansfeld, August Palm, German Football Association
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Northern Schleswig

Sønderjyllands Amt
Basic Facts
County seat Aabenraa
Area 3,938 km²
Inhabitants 252,433 (2006)
Map

South Jutland County (Danish: Sønderjyllands Amt) is a former county (Danish: amt) on the south-central portion of the Jutland Peninsula in southern Denmark.

The county was formed on April 1, 1970, comprising the former counties of Aabenraa (E), Haderslev (N), Sønderborg (SE), and Tønder (SW). The county was abolished effective January 1, 2007, when the Region of Southern Denmark was formed.

Following the reunification of the region with Denmark, the Church of Denmark elevated Haderslev to a diocese in 1923[1] and divided the region between the dioceses of Ribe (W) and Haderslev (E). This arrangement remains in effect.

Short description of South Jutland

South Jutland county is also known as Northern Schleswig (Danish: Nordslesvig, German: Nordschleswig). The name refers specifically to the southernmost 50 kilometers of the Danish part of the Jutland Peninsula that formerly belonged to the former Duchy of Schleswig (Danish: Slesvig or Sønderjylland); a Danish fief under the Kings of Denmark.

Denmark lost the Duchy of Schleswig, as well as the German Duchies of Holstein and Lauenburg, to Prussia and Austria in 1864 in the Second War of Schleswig. Following Austria's defeat in the Austro-Prussian War (1866), all three provinces were annexed to Prussia. Following the defeat of Germany in World War I, the Allied powers organised two plebiscites in Northern and Central Schleswig on 10 February and 14 March 1920, respectively. In Northern Schleswig 75% voted for reunification with Denmark and 25% for staying with Germany. In Central Schleswig the situation was reversed with 80% voting for Germany and 20% for Denmark. No vote ever took place in the southern third of Schleswig, as the result was a foregone conclusion. On 15 June 1920, Northern Schleswig was officially reunited with Denmark. It is the only one of the German transfers of territory after World War I that the Nazis did not dispute.

Central Schleswig chose to remain with Southern Schleswig as part of Germany and is today a part of the German state of Schleswig-Holstein.

A small ethnic German minority still lives in South Jutland county - predominantly in and near the towns of Tønder and Aabenraa (German: Tondern and Apenrade).

Important settlements: Sønderborg (27,000), Aabenraa (15,000), Haderslev (21,000 people) and Tønder (8,000).[2]

Insignia

The coat of arms of South Jutland County was designed in 1980 and is derived from the historic coat of arms of Schleswig which in turn is derived from the national coat of arms of Denmark. The inspiration for the Dannebrog pennant was a 13th-century seal used by Erik Abelsøn, Duke of Schleswig.

List of County Mayors

From To County Mayor
April 1, 1970 December 2, 1981 Erik Jessen (Venstre)
December 2, 1981 July 1, 2000 Kresten Philipsen (Venstre)
July 1, 2000 December 31, 2006 Carl Holst (Venstre)

Municipalities (1970-2006)

References

Coordinates: 55°02′40″N 9°24′52″E / 55.04444°N 9.41444°E / 55.04444; 9.41444

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.