World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Northwood Halt

Article Id: WHEBN0022384466
Reproduction Date:

Title: Northwood Halt  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Highley railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Northwood Halt

Northwood Halt is an unstaffed request stop on the Severn Valley Railway in Worcestershire, situated a little to the north of Bewdley on the outskirts of the Wyre Forest. There is a level crossing just to the south of the single platform. It is the only surviving original halt on the line.

The halt first opened in June 1935 and was in use until the end of British Railways passenger services beyond Bewdley in 1963. Although thought by some people to have been closed as part of the Beeching axe in 1963 its planned closure pre-dated his report. It was well used by fishermen, ramblers and tourists, and was reopened immediately after the SVR's southerly extension of services in 1974. Northwood Halt is not included in the public timetable.

The level crossing is now protected by light signals and an audible warning; this system replaced hand-operated gates, the scene of two serious accidents in 1947 and 1964.

Upon reopening the only shelter for passengers awaiting trains was a wooden shed. This was subsequently replaced with a GWR style pagoda that was constructed by volunteers at Kidderminster.[1]

References

External links

  • Visitor guide to Northwood Halt
Preceding station Heritage railways Following station
Arley style="background:#; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   Severn Valley Railway style="background:#;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   Bewdley

Coordinates: 52°23′39″N 2°19′36″W / 52.39417°N 2.32673°W / 52.39417; -2.32673

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.