World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Old Eastern Avenue Bridge

Article Id: WHEBN0002675527
Reproduction Date:

Title: Old Eastern Avenue Bridge  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Eastern Avenue (Toronto), Queen Street Viaduct, Bridges in Toronto, List of east–west roads in Toronto
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Old Eastern Avenue Bridge

Old Eastern Avenue Bridge
The southern side of the bridge
Carries Unused/Access closed off - 2 lane roadway and sidewalks
Crosses Don River
Maintained by Toronto Transportation Services
Enbridge (gas bridge only)
Material steel and concrete
Total length ~45 metres (148 ft)
Width ~19 metres (62 ft)
Number of spans 1

The Old Eastern Avenue Bridge (also known erroneously as the King Street Bridge) consists of two bridges spanning the Don River in Toronto, Canada. The north bridge or Gas Line Bridge is a concrete arch bridge built for Consumers Gas Company and is used by Enbridge Gas to carry a major gas main. The southern Howe Truss bridge, similar to Queen Street Viaduct and Bathurst Street Bridge, previously carried traffic on Eastern Avenue but is currently unused.


The bridge was built in 1933 replacing an older wooden bridge that had been damaged by ice on the Don River in 1900. The original cost was $70,864.07.

The bridge was closed off in 1964 after the construction of the Don Valley Parkway. Eastern's east and west halves crossed the Don River north of the old alignment via a new large bridge with ramps connecting to the Don Valley Parkway, and this viaduct (known as the Eastern Avenue Bypass in some maps) forked out and become the eastern terminus of both Richmond and Adelaide streets. With the Eastern Avenue Bypass just to the north and the elevated Gardiner Expressway just to the south, it was decided that the existing Eastern Avenue bridge was unnecessary at that point on the Don River. The bridge was thus disconnected from the road network, and also fenced in to block pedestrians as the Parkway and the rail lines are both considered hazardous.

The city considered demolishing the unused southern bridge, but found that it would be more expensive than simply maintaining it, and continues to inspect the bridge to this day.


  • "Dead little bridges, like the steel truss-strengthened span on Eastern Avenue, can put an urban explorer in a melancholy mood." John Bentley Mays. The Globe and Mail. Feb 15, 1995. pg. C.3
  • "Spans recall past Bridges to nowhere rest unnoticed beside Toronto expressway." Donald Grant. The Globe and Mail. Apr 30, 1984. pg. M.3

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.