World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Old Stone Fort (Schoharie, NY)

Article Id: WHEBN0018907688
Reproduction Date:

Title: Old Stone Fort (Schoharie, NY)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Schoharie County, New York, Joseph Brant, 1772 in architecture, Old Stone Fort
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Old Stone Fort (Schoharie, NY)

Old Stone Fort
The Old Stone Fort as photographed from across the street on March 11, 2008.
Old Stone Fort (Schoharie, New York)
Location Schoharie, New York

42°40′38.28″N 74°18′8.1″W / 42.6773000°N 74.302250°W / 42.6773000; -74.302250Coordinates: 42°40′38.28″N 74°18′8.1″W / 42.6773000°N 74.302250°W / 42.6773000; -74.302250

Area 0.4 acres (0.16 ha)
Built 1772
Architect Schuyler, John
Architectural style Georgian
Governing body Local
NRHP Reference # 02001643[1]
Added to NRHP December 31, 2002

Located in the village of Schoharie, Schoharie County New York, the Old Stone Fort was originally built as a Reformed Dutch Church in 1772. With the coming of the American Revolutionary War, the church was enclosed by a log stockade in 1777.[2]

On October 17, 1780, a force of approximately 800 loyalists and Native Americans under Sir John Johnson and Mohawk Capt. Joseph Brant raided the valley and briefly attacked the fort before proceeding north toward the Mohawk Valley. A cannonball hole can still be seen in a cornice at the rear of the building.

The stockade was removed in 1785 and the building continued service as a church until 1844 when it was replaced by the present Reformed Church in the village. In 1857 the former fort was sold to the State of New York for $800. Through the American Civil War and until 1873, it was used as an armory. Then, it was given to the county for historical use.

In 1888 the Schoharie County Historical Society was formed to operate a museum at the old fort and by 1899, a catalog of 2,500 items was published. The fort is part of the Old Stone Fort Museum complex, which also comprises: the William Badgely Museum and carriage house, built in 1972; the Warner house, a Greek Revival home housing the Scribner Exhibit of 20th Century Communications; the 1830 Jackson law office; the Oliver one-room school house furnished circa 1900; and the Schaeffer-Ingold Dutch barn. Experts on the Dutch Barn include Harold Zoch, who is Schoharie County Historian.

The research library is available to historians and genealogists. The facility is open to the public from May through October. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.[1]


External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.