World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Oratory of Gesù Pellegrino

Article Id: WHEBN0036709129
Reproduction Date:

Title: Oratory of Gesù Pellegrino  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Via Camillo Cavour, Torre degli Alberti, Loggia del Pesce, Torre degli Amidei, Giardino dell'Iris
Collection: 16Th-Century Roman Catholic Church Buildings, Churches in Florence, Renaissance Architecture in Florence
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Oratory of Gesù Pellegrino

The Oratory of Gesù Pellegrino, also called the Oratorio dei Pretoni, is a small church found on the corner of Via San Gallo and via degli Arazzieri in Florence.

Facade

Initially consecrated with the name of church of San Salvatore for a confraternity of the same name, in 1313 the bishop Antonio d’Orso instituted a hospice for priests on pilgrimage. The name of the church was changed later to church of Saint James, and under the sainted Archbishop Antoninus, the confraternity set up a hospice for elderly priests.

In 1585 to 1588, under the patronage of the Medici family, restructuring was directed by Arlotto Mainardi (1396–1484).

Gallery

Source

  • Translated from Italian WorldHeritage
  • Churches of Florence entry

External links

Visit the Places of Faith in Tuscany: Search: Oratory of Gesu Pellegrino


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.