World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Orpington Urban District

Article Id: WHEBN0002755814
Reproduction Date:

Title: Orpington Urban District  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: London Government Act 1963, St Mary Cray, Coat of arms of the London Borough of Bromley, History of Bromley, Pratt's Bottom
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Orpington Urban District

Orpington
Area
 • 1951/1961 20,842 acres
Population
 • 1939 49,500
 • 1951 63,364
 • 1961 80,293
History
 • Origin Kent Review Order 1934
 • Created 1934
 • Abolished 1965
 • Succeeded by London Borough of Bromley
Status Urban district
Civil parish
Government Orpington Urban District Council

Orpington was a local government district in northwest Kent from 1934 to 1965 around the town of Orpington, England. It was suburban to London and formed part of the Metropolitan Police District. Most of the former area of the urban district is now part of the London Borough of Bromley in Greater London.

History

It was created an urban district in 1934 from parts of the abolished districts of Bromley Rural District and Chislehurst Urban District, taking in the entirety of Chelsfield, Cudham, and Knockholt parishes, and most of Farnborough, part of Keston, most of Orpington, most of St Mary Cray, part of St Paul's Cray and part of West Wickham.

The urban district was within the Metropolitan Police District and part of the review area of the Royal Commission on Local Government in Greater London.[1] In 1965 it was abolished by the London Government Act 1963 and its former area transferred to Greater London from Kent. Its former area was combined with that of other districts to form the London Borough of Bromley.

References

  1. ^ Royal Commission on Local Government in Greater London: 1957–1960: Report, 1960, HMSO

External links

  • A Vision of Britain - Orpington UD

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.