World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Palazzo Spini Feroni

Article Id: WHEBN0011195252
Reproduction Date:

Title: Palazzo Spini Feroni  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Torre dei Gianfigliazzi, Ponte Santa Trinita, Via de' Tornabuoni, List of squares in Florence, Santa Trinita
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Palazzo Spini Feroni

Palazzo Spini Ferroni.

Palazzo Spini Ferroni is a large, Gothic architecture palace located along Via de' Tornabuoni at the corner of Piazza Santa Trinita, in central Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy. It stands across the church of Santa Trinita.

History

Detail of the fresco of the Resurrection of the Boy by Domenico Ghirlandaio, in the Sassetti Chapel of Santa Trinita.

The palace was commissioned in 1289 by the rich cloth merchant and banker Geri Spini, on plots that he had bought after the 1288 flood of the Arno, from the monks of Santa Trinita.

At the time, it was the largest privately-owned palazzo in Florence, rivaling in size the contemporary Palazzo Vecchio, the seat of government of the Republic. The design of Palazzo Spini Feroni has been attributed to list of architects including Arnolfo di Cambio or Arnolfo's father, Lapo Tedesco. The edifice's original appearance can be seen in Ghirlandaio's frescoes in the Sassetti Chapel of the neighbouring church of Santa Trinita. Built during a turbulent medieval century in the city, noted for internecine conflict between families, the palace is a fortress-like stone block, with street level arches in a tall first story, with a protruding cornice mounted by a Guelph merlons.

In the 14th century, the palazzo was divided between the two branches of the Spini; the section facing the piazza was sold in the 17th century. In the 1670s, Marquis Francesco Antonio Ferroni, a member of Grand Duke Cosimo III ruling circle, had it redecorated with stuccoes by Giovan Battista Foggini and Lorenzo Merlini. During this refurbishment, the frescoes (1609-1612) by Bernardino Poccetti, depicting Paradise with a Choir of Musician Angels and Adoration of the Shepherds were moved from their original location.

In 1846, after a spell as a hotel, the palace was purchased by the comune of Florence, and later used for state offices during the period (1865-1871) when Florence was capital of Italy. In 1874, it was partly renovated in neo-medieval style; shop-fronts were opened in the ground floor and a tower and an arch facing the river Arno were demolished, giving the palace the present appearance. In the 1930s, it was bought by the shoe designer Salvatore Ferragamo. Since 1995 the Palazzo has housed a museum dedicated to Ferragamo.

References

  • Touring Club Italiano. Firenze e dintorni.

External links

  • Museo Salvatore Ferragamo

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.