World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pape Village

Article Id: WHEBN0004932895
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pape Village  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Playter Estates, Leaside, Pape, Todmorden Mills, List of Rush instrumentals
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pape Village

Pape Village
Commercial district
1915 Atlas of Canada, showing what is today the area in which Pape Village is located (then known as Todmorden), to the north of the (then) boundary of the City of Toronto
1915 Atlas of Canada, showing what is today the area in which Pape Village is located (then known as Todmorden), to the north of the (then) boundary of the City of Toronto
Pape Village is located in Toronto
Pape Village
Location within Toronto
Coordinates:
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto
Community Toronto & East York
Changed Municipality 1924 East York from York
1998 Toronto fromEast York
Government
 • MP Craig Scott (Toronto—Danforth)
 • MPP Peter Tabuns (Toronto—Danforth)
 • Councillor Mary Fragedakis (Ward 29 Toronto—Danforth)

Pape Village is a commercial district in Toronto, Canada, located within the neighbourhood of Old East York. It is a mixed-use shopping street, consisting mainly of small-scale retail, restaurant and personal service uses.

Contents

  • Location 1
  • Business Improvement Area 2
  • History 3
  • References 4

Location

The district is located along Pape Avenue, between Mortimer Avenue and Gamble Avenue, in the former Borough of East York. The Danforth is located several blocks to the south, and the Don Valley is located several blocks to the west and north.

Although the Pape Village name was originally the product of local business marketing efforts, some real estate agents and local residents have since used the term to also refer to the adjacent residential area. Otherwise, the area is generally known as Old East York.

Business Improvement Area

The Pape Village Business Improvement Area represents approximately 110 businesses along the thoroughfare, and undertakes efforts to promote and beautify the area. Since much of the existing building stock in Pape Village dates to the 1940s and 1950s, the City of Toronto adopted a new community improvement plan for the district in 2003, in order to assist local businesses to renovate and restore aging commercial façades.

History

Aerial Photograph, 1942

Historically, the entire area was known as "Todmorden", which extended from the Don Valley to the west and north, to approximately what is now Mortimer Avenue to the south and Donlands Avenue to the east. Todmorden was named by John Eastwood, an early settler in the early 19th century, who believed that the landscape was reminiscent of Todmorden in Yorkshire, England. Although Todmorden was never incorporated as a village, the use of the name both colloquially and as a postal address persisted until the 1940s. Today, the name is used solely for three areas of this community Todmorden Mills, a historic industrial settlement in the Don Valley, for a library reference room in the East York Community Centre on Pape Avenue as well as a small street linking Cosburn avenue and Gamble Avenue, its name "Todmorden Lane".

References in pop culture The band Rush reference the area in the instrumental "La Villa Strangiato" from the album Hemispheres (1978), in which section VII is subtitled "Danforth & Pape".

References

  • Fascinating Facts About East York, East York Public Library, 1996, pages 23–30.
  • City of Toronto - Pape Village BIA
  • Pape Village Community Improvement Plan By-law
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.