World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pekan Gurney

Article Id: WHEBN0006041957
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pekan Gurney  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ipoh, Damar Laut, Malim Nawar, Pasir Salak, Perak Tengah
Collection: Populated Places in Perak
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pekan Gurney

Pekan Gurney or Gurney's Town is a small town in Perak, Malaysia. The town was founded in 1952 and named after Sir Henry Gurney, a former British High Commissioner in Malaya

History

This Chinese settlement began in the early 1900s with mainly Foochow Chinese. There was a small presence of Hin Wah and Indians. They were mainly rubber tappers, pig farmers and padi planters. This place which originally known Simpang Tiga because it's the third junction leading towards the Sungei Wangi Estate.[1] There is a cross road in the heart of the settlement, a through road from Simpang Dua leading through to Simpang Lima. The other cross road had led to Sungei Wangi Estate on one end and to another abandoned settlement on the other end.

During the Japanese occupation, many residents fled into the jungle, farming, fishing and hunting to provide food for their families. A number of these people provided opposition to the Japanese and many were hunted down, taken away, never to return.

After the Japanese occupation, many moved back into the settlement. Most of the residents were sympathetic to KMT (Kuo Ming Tang - Chiang Kai Shek's party in China). A number of the local leaders, Ding Lean Kea, Ting Toh Ming were brutally murdered by CPM (Communist Party of Malaya). These courageous men had openly supported KMT knowing full well that they did not have weapons of any kind to fight CPM.

Early one morning around 2 am, 1950, a band of CPM members surrounded the commercial area, comprising mainly shops, shot in the air and threw lighted gunny sacks soaked in kerosene on to the roofs of these shops razing the shops to the ground within hours. This was the CPM punishment for their non cooperation to the CPM's cause. However, it could be argued that the settlers had very little left to spare after the Japanese occupation. The Japanese "Banana" currency was declared worthless immediately after the Japanese surrender. The CPM showed no mercy. The one hourly bus service to Kampong Koh was disrupted when the bus was burnt. A private taxi was shot. Rubber trees were slashed. The CPM has also used "soft" tactics. Members would approach rubber tappers individually trying gentle persuasion to get them on their side.

Through British Military Administration, the Settlement was rebuilt in 1952. All houses and shelters around the area were torn down and the population resettled in a barbed wired area about 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) around the new shops. This was the implementation of the Briggs Plans of starving the CPM into surrender. This new town ship was named Pekan Gurney in honour of Henry Gurney, the High Commissioner who was gunned down on his way to Fraser's Hill.

It had two Chinese schools for a short while. Unfortunately, one of the schools which fell outside of the fenced area had to close. However, all its students and staff were moved into San Ming Primary school.

The township has two churches, a Methodist and the Church of Dindings. Taoism is also present. Every year, the hungry ghost festival was celebrated on a grand scale with Chinese operas, fire walking etc. When numbers betting came into vogue, there were at least one medium in active service.

Among the sons of Simpang Tiga or Pekan Gurney whom I know of who had made it good are Phillip Ting, now a well known and respected business leader now residing in Kuching. Another is Ting Sie Bing, the founder of SPM, a local board games company.

References

  1. ^ The Foochows of Sitiawan: A Historical Perspective
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.