World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Peterhouse Boat Club

Article Id: WHEBN0003102247
Reproduction Date:

Title: Peterhouse Boat Club  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: May Bumps 2011, May Bumps 2014, May Bumps 2008, May Bumps 2010, Lent Bumps 2004
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Peterhouse Boat Club

Peterhouse Boat Club
Image showing the rowing club's blade colours
Location Cambridge, United Kingdom
Coordinates
Home water River Cam
Founded 1828 (1828)
Affiliations British Rowing
Website .org.peterhousebcwww
Notable members

Peterhouse Boat Club is the rowing club for members of Peterhouse, Cambridge. It was founded on 29 April 1828 as St Peter's College Boat Club, but was renamed in 1873 to its present name.[1] Alumni of Peterhouse Boat Club are eligible to join the Cross Keys Boat Club.

While Peterhouse is the smallest of all of the colleges of Cambridge University which regularly admit both undergraduates and graduates, its crews have often performed very well, including taking the headship of the May Bumps on 28 February 1842 and that of the Lent Bumps in 1956. In the early days of the Lent and May Bumps, the Peterhouse 1st men's VIII were in the lower half of the 2nd, or even in the 3rd division, but from about 1920 rose to lie in the bottom-half of the 1st division or top-half of the 2nd division. Peterhouse performed very well in the Lent Bumps from 1950, not being bumped until 1957, and taking the headship in 1956, a year in which they also won the Ladies' Challenge Plate at Henley Royal Regatta. Since then, the Peterhouse 1st men's VIII have spent most of their time in the top-half of the 2nd division or bottom-half of the 1st division in both events.

A women's crew did not appear until 1986 and has remained in the 2nd division for most of the time since then in both the Lent and May Bumps, although the 1st women's VIII did succeed in breaking into the 1st division in the May Bumps in 2002 for the first time. Peterhouse 1st Women managed the only quadruple-overbump ever in the history of bumps racing in the May Bumps in 1986 when they managed to catch Clare III to rise 9 positions in a single day.

Famous alumni of the Peterhouse Boat Club include James Mason, Lord Kelvin and Tom Askwith.

Boathouse

Peterhouse owns its own boathouse. The current building being the second boathouse to be built on the land. The first dated to 1897 and cost £880, including £280 for the land.[1] It was replaced in 1928 with the current structure at a cost of £4000. It was designed by Wheeler, who was also responsible for the design of the boat house for Trinity Hall Boat Club. The boathouse was extended in 1992 with a new shed to accommodate fours and small boats. Space in the boat house is currently leased to Murray Edwards College.

References

  1. ^ a b

External links

  • Peterhouse Boat Club
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.