Philip of Burgundy, Bishop of Utrecht


Philip of Burgundy (Brussels, 1464 – Wijk bij Duurstede, 7 April 1524) was Admiral of the Netherlands from 1498 to 1517 and bishop of Utrecht from 1517 to 1524.

Philip was an illegitimate son of Duke Philip the Good, and a half-brother to bishop of Utrecht David of Burgundy. In 1486 he was knighted and in 1491 he single-handedly killed an opponent. He was at the head of the Burgundian army in the Sticht and, as such, refused to carry out David's burial as long as the election of a Burgundian-favoured successor had not been arranged. He was appointed admiral in 1498 by Philip I of Castile and after an expedition to Rome in 1508 he settled in the castle Souburg on Walcheren.

In a politically motivated move, Philip was appointed bishop of Utrecht by Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor to replace Frederick IV of Baden. When he made his entrance into Utrecht he had not received any kind of ordination; these were given to him in the following days. He led a luxurious life in the episcopal residence, Duurstede Castle, taking a particular interested in weaponry, women and horses. He was a true renaissance-ruler, and was little concerned with religious matters, which he delegated to his servants. He ignored the rising Lutheranism.

Philip's politics were not very successful; he left much to his councillors and had trouble keeping himself standing in the midst of the faction-struggles in the bishopric. During his rule the Oversticht was largely lost in the Guelderian War between the Empire and Guelders. The bishopric maintained only Hasselt, Steenwijk and Oldenzaal.

Philips only positive contribution was his patronage of the arts. For years he maintained the painter Jan Gossaert and the humanist Gelderhouwer, and he acted as a protector of Erasmus. He also owned works of Jeroen Bosch.

Sources

Preceded by
Frederick IV of Baden
Bishop of Utrecht
1517–1524
Succeeded by
Henry of the Palatinate (bishop)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.