Pi delta kappa

Pi Delta Kappa (ΠΔΚ) was a regional collegiate sorority operating in Ohio from 1907 to 1913. The sorority planned to become a national organization, but ultimately absorbed itself into Chi Omega.

History

The Alpha chapter was created with eleven members at Ohio University in 1907. Beta, from Gamma Alpha Chi at Miami University, followed in 1909. That same year, at the University of Cincinnati, Professor Howell Lindley (Phi Delta Theta) and an unnamed female professor chartered the Gamma chapter. Lindley assisted his chapter with the petition to Chi Omega.

Pi Delta Kappa was recognized by national fraternities, at least to be mentioned in their respective publications. Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Delta Delta Delta are but two of the groups that recorded the growth of Pi Delta Kappa.
An authority on fraternities in the US, Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities (1912 edition), covering Pi Delta Kappa, specifies the three chapters have a combined total of 75 members.[1] Pi Delta Kappa was grouped with "Women's General Fraternities," which included the contemporary members of the National Panhellenic Conference.

The sorority's eventual absorption into Chi Omega was included in noteworthy publications, including Banta's Greek Exchange (1913).

Insignia

According to Baird's Manual, 1912 edition: The official magazine was The Hour Glass, the official colors were brown and yellow, and the official badge was an owl wearing a mortarboard with the sorority's letters.[1]

References

  • Ferguson, Christelle. A History of Chi Omega. Chi Omega, 1928.
  • Martin, Ida Shaw. The Sorority Handbook. George Banta Publishing Co., 1919.
  • Anson, Jack L., Robert F. Marchesani, and William Raimond Baird. Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities. 7th. ed.. New York: College Fraternity Pub., 1912.
  • Anson, Jack L., Robert F. Marchesani, and William Raimond Baird. Baird's Manual of American College Fraternities. 8th. ed. New York: Baird's Manual Foundation, 1915.
  • G. Banta. Banta's Greek Exchange, v. 2 (1912–1913). George Banta, 1913.
  • The Record of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, vol. 32, 1912.
  • The Triangle of Sigma Sigma Sigma, vol. 12-13, 1912-1913.
  • The Trident of Delta Delta Delta, vol. 23, 1913-1914.

External links

  • Chi Omega Official Website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.