World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Place de Clichy

Article Id: WHEBN0018323651
Reproduction Date:

Title: Place de Clichy  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Montmartre Cemetery, Jacques Brel, 8th arrondissement of Paris, 17th arrondissement of Paris, Clichy, Henri Desgrange, Boulevard de Clichy, Squares in Paris
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Place de Clichy

Coordinates: 48°53′01″N 2°19′39″E / 48.883519°N 2.327394°E / 48.883519; 2.327394


The Place de Clichy, also known as "Place Clichy", is situated in the northwestern quadrant of Paris. It is formed by the intersection of the Boulevard de Clichy, the Avenue Clichy, the Rue Clichy, the Boulevard des Batignolles, and the Rue d'Amsterdam.

It lies at the former site of the barrière de Clichy, an ancient portal in the Wall of the Farmers-General, leading to the village of Clichy, outside the wall.

Description

The Place de Clichy is one of the few places in Paris where four arrondissements (the 8th, 9th, 17th, and 18th) meet at a single point. (The others are the Pont Saint-Michel, where the 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th meet, and the Belleville roundabout, where the 10th, 11th, 19th and 20th come together.)

The Place de Clichy is also unusual in that it has been untouched by urban planners. This explains the heterogeneous façades of the buildings in the area. The Place de Clichy has the character of a substantial crossroads, rather than that of a real place (public square).

Surrounding the Place de Clichy is a lively array of shops, restaurants, and businesses, including a popular cinema. It is a hive of activity, both day and night.

History

In March 1814, at the close of the First French Empire, 800,000 soldiers of various foreign armies marched on Paris. After breaking through the barriers at Belleville and Pantin, they took the hill of Montmartre. Paris was protected in the north from Clichy to Neuilly, by 70,000 men of the garde nationale. In the face of the advancing enemy, the Maréchal de Moncey defended the barrière de Clichy. Moncey amassed 15,000 volunteers, tirailleurs — students from the École polytechnique and the École vétérinaire — and, despite their inexperience, valiantly resisted the Russian contingent until an armistice was declared on 30 March 1814.

Monument

A six-metre-tall bronze statue, executed by Amédée Doublemard and dedicated to de Moncey, stands on an ornate pedestal eight metres tall.

Metro station

The Place de Clichy is:

Located near the metro stationPlace de Clichy.
It is served by lines 2 and 13.

See also

  • Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens (RATP/Autonomous Operator of Parisian Transports)
  • Tramways in Paris

External links

  • Internet portal
  • Official nomenclature of Parisian roads (French)
Paris portal
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.