World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pont de Neuilly

 

Pont de Neuilly

Pont de Neuilly
Pont de Neuilly, extending Paris Axe historique westbound to La Défense
Crosses The Seine River
Locale Neuilly-sur-Seine, Courbevoie and Puteaux, France
Total length 257 metres (843 ft)
(5 spans of 39 metres (128 ft))[1]
Width 43 metres (141 ft)
Next upstream Pont de Puteaux
Next downstream Pont Bineau and Pont de Courbevoie
(across Île de la Jatte)

Le pont de Neuilly is a road and rail bridge carrying Route nationale 13 and Paris Métro Line 1 which crosses the River Seine between the right bank of Neuilly-sur-Seine and Courbevoie and Puteaux on the left bank in the French department of Hauts-de-Seine. It faces the headquarters of La Défense and is aligned on the Axe historique of Paris.

The first bridge on the site was in wood, built after the fall of Henry IV and Marie de Médicis's carriage in June 1606. The second was a 219m-long five-arched structure built in 1774 by Jean-Rodolphe Perronet, founder of the École des ponts et chaussées (a stone statue of him is now at the foot of the bridge, at the west point of île de Puteaux). The second bridge was demolished between 1936 and 1942 and replaced in 1942 with a metal bridge by L. A. Lévy and the Daydé company. In 1992, its pedestrian sidewalks were narrowed to allow Line 1 to be added to the bridge and the bridge gave its name to the nearby Metro station.

The present bridge effectively consisted of two bridges - a 67m span between Neuilly and 'île de Puteaux, and an 87m span between île de Puteaux and Courbevoie. A pedestrian staircase in the middle of the bridge allows access to île de Puteaux.

References

  1. ^ "Neuilly bridge". Structurae—International Database for Civil and Structural Engineering. Retrieved 26 October 2014. 


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.