World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Princes Hill, Victoria

Article Id: WHEBN0002782019
Reproduction Date:

Title: Princes Hill, Victoria  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Carlton North, Victoria, Brunswick, Victoria, Lygon Street, Melbourne, City of Yarra suburbs, Brunswick East, Victoria
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Princes Hill, Victoria

Princes Hill
MelbourneVictoria
Princes Hill is located in Melbourne
Princes Hill
Coordinates
Population 2,075 (2011 census)[1]
 • Density 5,200/km2 (13,400/sq mi)
Postcode(s) 3054
Area 0.4 km2 (0.2 sq mi)
Location 3 km (2 mi) from Melbourne
LGA(s) City of Yarra
State electorate(s) Melbourne
Federal Division(s) Melbourne
Suburbs around Princes Hill:
Brunswick Brunswick Brunswick East
Parkville Princes Hill Carlton North
Parkville Carlton North Carlton North

Princes Hill is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3 km north of Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Yarra. At the 2011 Census, Princes Hill had a population of 2,075.

Princes Hill is named for the Prince of Wales, similarly to neighbouring Carlton.

Demographer Bernard Salt dubbed Princes Hill "Chick City" in 2003, after 2001 Census data revealed the suburb had the highest proportion of single women to men in Melbourne.[2]

Contents

  • St Michael's Princes Hill 1
  • The school 2
  • Police 3
  • Land 4
  • References 5

St Michael's Princes Hill

The Argus, on Saturday 11 October 1884, reported that a meeting of members of the Church of England the night before at the Carlton Hall, in Prince's Street (now North Carlton), agreed that as "North Carlton was now thickly populated, while dwellings were being rapidly built on Prince's Hill", that it would "not be unreasonable to conclude that the time had arrived when the residents in the neighbourhood could support a church." The meeting agreed that that it was "desirable that a church should be erected in the newly constituted parish of St Michael's, and that permission be obtained from the bishop in council to sell the original site on the west side of Canning Street, near Pigdon Street, for the purpose of purchasing another in a more favourable position at the intersection of Wilson and Paterson Streets, Prince's Hill." The church today is on the corner of Macpherson and Mc Ilwraith Streets in Princes Hill.

By May 1885 "a temporary building on Princes Hill was nearing completion and was expected to be ready for opening, on Sunday the 17th inst."

The school

On 2 November 1887 in the Legislative Assembly, it was moved Mr Jones (for Colonel Smith) moved for a copy of all the papers relating to the purchase of land at Prince's Hill, Carlton, for a state school. The motion was agreed to.

In September 1889, it was announced "A commodious State school, which has recently been erected in Arnold Street, Princes Hill, North Carlton, to meet the requirements of that rapidly growing suburb was opened yesterday by the Minister of Public Instruction, in the presence of the intending pupils, who numbered about 250 and a large number of ladies and gentlemen.

Mr James Robertson, the chairman of the Carlton School Board of Advice, presided at the gathering and stated that this was the sixth state school that had been opened in that suburb, there were in all about 5,000 children on the rolls of those schools of whom close on 4,000 attended regularly. Something was required, however on the part of the Education Department, the board of advice, or the truant officer to secure the regular attendance of the others so as to enable them to take full advantage of the benefits of the Education Act."

Police

In May 1888 it was announced in The Argus "A new police station is to be established at Princes Hill, North Carlton. A house has been rented from Mr Purvis near the corner of Lygon and Paterson Streets. It is intended to have one constable in charge, but the residents in the neighbourhood think that one representative of the law will be totally insufficient to protect them."

Land

In 1884 The Argus reported that land sold in "Princes Hill, North Carlton, Wilson street, 66 x 165 to right of way £305 5s."

References

  1. ^  
  2. ^ Minchin, Liz: The geography of love, The Age, 9 July 2003.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.