World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Quarré-les-Tombes

Article Id: WHEBN0015674644
Reproduction Date:

Title: Quarré-les-Tombes  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Avallon, Aisy-sur-Armançon, Aillant-sur-Tholon, Aigremont, Yonne, Annay-sur-Serein
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Quarré-les-Tombes

Quarré-les-Tombes
Quarré-les-Tombes is located in France
Quarré-les-Tombes
Quarré-les-Tombes
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Burgundy
Department Yonne
Arrondissement Avallon
Canton Quarré-les-Tombes
Area1 46.05 km2 (17.78 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 741
 • Density 16/km2 (42/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 89318 / 89630
Elevation 298–606 m (978–1,988 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Quarré-les-Tombes is a commune in the Yonne department in Burgundy in north-central France.

Geography

The commune is located in the Morvan between the valleys of the Cure and Trinquelin. It is located on a granite hilltop of 450 meters altitude, which exposes the village to the northern winds and cold temperatures

The commune is located at a crossroads of these routes:

  1. Avallon to St. Brisson,
  2. de Rouvray to Lormes
  3. Quarré to Cussy-les-Forges
  4. Quarré to Châtel Censoir

The commune has 37 hamlets.

Hamlets

Hamlets of archaeological or historical interest are:

  • Champlois whose large pavilion was a feudal manor.
  • The Gorge, which had a mansion in 1280 (owner Jean de Roilly).
  • Villiers-les Pautots whose name comes from a Roman villa and the family nickname.
  • Velars-le-Comte is of Roman origin (tiles, medals and statues recovered). In 1325 it belonged to Guyot of Veillart.
  • Les Iles-Ménéfriers is known mainly for the accumulation of rocks called Roche des Fées.
  • Les Mathieux housed a chapel dedicated to St. Eptade until 1667 .
  • Au Moulin-Colas has remnants of Roman buildings.

History

In the seventh century, the village was named Quarreia, then was called Quarée until the eighteenth century. The current name of town comes from the large number of empty stone coffins ("tombes") in the graveyard surrounding the church.

Quarré, formerly Careacum, belonged to Corbon, Lord of Corbigny, who bequeathed it to his son in 706 at the Abbey of Flavigny.

In the eleventh century, the village was owned by the Sires de Chastellux, Counts of Quarré. The castle was built in 1863.

The church has undergone several reconstructions including one in the sixteenth century.[1] The chair and bench are carved in the style of Louis XIII.

See also

References

  • INSEE
  1. ^ Quarré-les-Tombes, French Ministry of Culture


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.