World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

R15 (New York City Subway car)

Article Id: WHEBN0003557342
Reproduction Date:

Title: R15 (New York City Subway car)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: New York City Subway rolling stock, R15, Train of Many Colors, 1950 introductions, New York City Subway passenger equipment
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

R15 (New York City Subway car)

R15 (New York City Subway car)
R15 car 6239 on display at the New York Transit Museum.
In service 1950-1984
Manufacturer American Car and Foundry
Constructed 1950
Number built 100
Number preserved 1
Number scrapped 99
Fleet numbers 5953-5999, 6200-6252
Capacity 44 (seated)
Operator(s) New York City Transit Authority
Service(s) assigned none
Car body construction LAHT Carbon steel
Car length 51 ft 0 12 in (15.56 m)
Width 8 ft 10 316 in (2,697 mm)
Height 11 ft 10 in (3,607 mm)
Floor height 3 ft 9 in (1.14 m)
Doors 6
Maximum speed 55 mph (89 km/h)
Weight 74,778 lb (33,919 kg)
Power output 100 hp (75 kW) per traction motor
Transmission Westinghouse XM-179 or General Electric 17KC76A1
Auxiliaries 100 hp (75 kW) (4 per car)
Power supply Westinghouse 1447C or General Electric 1240A3
Electric system(s) 600 V DC Third rail
Current collection method Top running Contact shoe
Braking system(s) WABCO Schedule SMEE with A-1 Application package, J1 relay valve, ME-42A brake stand, and A.S.F simplex unit cylinder clasp brake rigging
Coupling system WABCO H2C
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm)

The R15 was a New York City Subway car built in 1950 by the American Car and Foundry Company. These cars were somewhat similar to the R12/R14 cars and they were the first to feature round (turtle-back) roofs, porthole door windows, and conductors door operating apparatus controls located inside the motorman's cabs, instead of on the outsides as on the R12/R14s.[1] Delivery began after the final R14s in January 1950, with the R15s beginning service on the 7 (IRT Flushing Line) service in Queens and Manhattan on February 4, 1950. All cars were accepted for service as of April 23, 1950.[2] The R15s,along with the R12/R14s ram on the Flushing Line until 1964 with the delivery of R33 WF/R36 WF cars. While they ran in solid consists on the Flushing line, the R15s were always intermixed with later cars once they were transferred to the mainlines.

Eventually, the R15 cars were transferred to operate on other IRT division routes originating in Manhattan, the Bronx and/or Brooklyn throughout their service lives, starting in 1964, and ran there until their retirement on December 10, 1984 when the R15s were replaced by the R62/R62A fleet.

Preservation and Work Service

Car 6239 had been previously and fully restored in 1976 and survives today as part of the displayed collection at the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn. It has operated on fantrips since 2004, and is the sole surviving R15 unit in existence.

Cars 5965, 5984-5985, 5989, and 6214 were converted into R71 rider cars after retirement, but were replaced with R161s (R33s converted into rider cars) in the mid-2000s.[3]


  1. ^ "". 
  2. ^ ERA New York Division Bulletin, September 2009, Page 4
  3. ^ "". 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.