World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rail Cargo Austria

Article Id: WHEBN0026861446
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rail Cargo Austria  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: RCA (disambiguation), List of European railways
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Rail Cargo Austria

Rail Cargo Austria (RCA) is an Austrian rail freight transportation company with its headquarters in Vienna. It is the transport service provider within the ÖBB Group. It emerged from the freight transportation section of the ÖBB.

After the take-over of the Hungarian company MÁV Cargo (since 01.03.2010 Rail Cargo Hungaria) in 2008, the company employs about 11,000 employees and transports 142 million tonnes a year on its own 8,000-kilometre railway network.

Company Structure

Rail Cargo Austria AG is one of four operative subsidiaries of ÖBB-Holding AG. As such, Rail Cargo Austria itself holds shares in other companies within the ÖBB corporation as well as some subsidiaries from the shipping sector. [1]

The most important subsidiaries are:

Rail Cargo Hungaria

Since 1 March 2010, Hungary’s most important rail freight transporter MÁV Cargo has appeared under the brand name of Rail Cargo Hungaria. At the beginning of December 2008, RCA completely took over MÁV Cargo AG. As a result, an expansion into the growth market of Eastern Europe and ultimately a top position in European rail freight transportation has been strived for. As part of the take-over, the RCA has committed to invest millions in the new subsidiary. A part of these investments has already been provided through the handover of two Taurus 1116 engines to MÁV Cargo. The two multi-system engines received new stickers with the MÁV Cargo logo. Further engines should follow.

Express-Interfracht Internationale Spedition GmbH

Express-Interfracht was founded in 1947 and has been part of Rail Cargo Austria AG since 1999. The international shipping company offers the complete spectrum of transportation services: HGV, container and air freight transportation, overseas and project work as well as inland water vessel transportation and storage.

ÖBB-Produktion GmbH

RCA holds 51% of ÖBB-Produktion GmbH. The remaining 49% is held by ÖBB-Personenverkehr AG. ÖBB-Produktion GmbH is responsible for the provision and maintenance of railway traction vehicles as well as the training of traction vehicle drivers.

ÖBB-Technische Services GmbH

RCA holds 51% of this company. The remaining 49% is held by ÖBB-Personenverkehr AG. Management of rail vehicles. This includes the maintenance, modernisation, assemble and engineering. Other core competences include new constructions and the refurbishment of vehicle components as well as the development of test and diagnostic facilities.

Ökombi GmbH

This 100% subsidiary operates rolling highway trains in Austria and internationally.

Industriewaggon GmbH

This 100% subsidiary developed into an independent company as part of the outsourcing of all freight vehicles.

Business Sectors

As part of the liberalisation and opening up to other markets, four business sectors have developed.

Cargo & Logistics

The Cargo & Logistics business sector carries out rail freight transportation as single wagon and whole train transportation. The requirements of specific goods transportations should be fulfilled using adapted solutions. Examples of this are the Woodliner and Koper-Express. The main field of activity is seen in Central and South-Eastern Europe.

Contract Logistics

The Contract Logistics business sector offers piece goods transportation throughout Europe as a door-to-door service. This also includes the temporary storage of goods in order to supply these to the end customer at certain times using a just-in-time system as part of the supply chain management. As a result, this business sector takes over parts of the cost-intensive temporary storage of goods (storage logistics) for industry.


With intermodal transportation, shipping containers (especially containers, HGVs) are shipped using several carriers (rail, road, water) without unloading the transported goods. Combined transportation opens up the bridging of the last miles between the customer and the unloading terminal, especially for customers who do not have their own railway sidings.

The Intermodal business sector tries to combine the high level of flexibility of the HGV with the mass service provider of the railway. In this way, swap bodies, which can be unloaded with the MOBILER system, are increasingly used alongside normal containers, which are fixed to terminals. Connections with the rolling highway are offered in several destinations.

Forwarding Logistics

Rail Cargo Austria offers through its subsidiaries logistics solutions for industries, shippings, container and air freight transportation, overseas and project work and inland water vessel transportation and storage.


External links

  • Rail Cargo Austria AG
  • Ökombi GmbH
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.