World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Railroad Museum of Long Island

Article Id: WHEBN0024937787
Reproduction Date:

Title: Railroad Museum of Long Island  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Morris Park Facility, M1/M3 (railcar), Greenport (LIRR station), Riverhead (LIRR station)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Railroad Museum of Long Island

"RMLI" redirects here. For the Royal Marine Light Infantry, see History of the Royal Marines#Predecessors.

The Railroad Museum of Long Island is a railway museum based on the North Fork, of Long Island, New York, in the United States. It has two locations, a main location in Riverhead, and a satellite location in Greenport, west of the North Ferry to Shelter Island. Both facilities contain active model railroad displays and gift shops.


The Riverhead location of the museum is located in a former Nassau-Suffolk Lumber Company warehouse and showroom at 416 Griffing Avenue, east of the Riverhead LIRR station. It was used as a lumber yard as far back as 1885, (The Corwin & Vail Lumber Company), and from 1891 to 1969 contained a turntable, water tower, and pump house, (the Long Island Railroad - Riverhead Yard).

The location contains numerous rare passenger and freight cars as well as locomotives in various stages of restoration, some of which are the last of their kind. It also has a 16" gauge Allen Herschell Park Train riding train from the LIRR Pavilion of the 1964 - 1965 World's Fair.

Located in the Freeman North Exhibit Hall, a renovated warehouse on the property, is the Historic Lionel Layout, an "O" Gauge model train layout donated to the Museum by Lionel L.L.C. in 2009. The 14' by 40' trainset is based on the 1940s Lionel Showroom Layout from New York City. It was constructed by Lionel employees in 1992 and operated at Lionel's facilities at Chesterfield, Michigan through 2008.


The Greenport RMLI site is located in the former LIRR freight house of the historic Greenport Railroad Station. Throughout its history, the freight house served as a branch of the United States Post Office, Railway Express Agency, and a storage facility for LIRR Road 'n' Rail buses. Today the station contains an old wooden caboose and a snowplow, as well as artifacts and photographs and other items of LIRR history.

External links

  • RMLI Official Website
  • RMLI Property at Riverhead (
  • Greenport (Unofficial LIRR Photography Site)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.