World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0015923328
Reproduction Date:

Title: Raon-aux-Bois  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Vosges department, Barbey-Seroux, Champdray, Darnieulles, Dogneville
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Coat of arms of Raon-aux-Bois
Coat of arms
Raon-aux-Bois is located in France
Country France
Region Lorraine
Department Vosges
Arrondissement Épinal
Canton Remiremont
Intercommunality Association of communes of the two banks of the Moselle
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Philippe Noël
Area1 24.05 km2 (9.29 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 1,195
 • Density 50/km2 (130/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 88371 / 88220
Elevation 385–591 m (1,263–1,939 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Raon-aux-Bois is a commune in the Vosges department in Lorraine in northeastern France.

Inhabitants are called Raonnais.


Raon-aux-Bois is positioned in the district known as the Vôge, on the western edge of the Vosges Mountains. As the name of the commune implies, the district has retained its woodland countryside, with traditional mature timberland in the south and conifer plantations to the north.

A small river, the Niche, crosses the centre of the village on the way to Arches where it joins up with the Moselle. The river's source is in the Forest of Humont to the south.

The word 'Raon' is believed to share the same root as the English word 'ravine', and to indicate, in this instance, the confluence of several streams; here the Champée, the Prés Roussel and the Racine all feed into the Niche.


The earliest traces of human activity date back only to the late Middle Ages, suggesting that throughout and beyond the first millennium the thick forest of this part of Lorraine were left to nature.

Deuring the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, there are records of people from Raon repopulating the neighbouring village of Bellefontaine, which had been abandoned a century or so earlier, probably as a result of plague.

There are few surviving records of Raon from its early centuries, but it is believed to have been controlled at various times by one of three lordships, while on the ecclesiastical side the church, dedicated to Amé de Remiremont, fell within the Diocese of Saint-Dié in the deanery of Remiremont.

In 1790 the village was placed within the canton of Éloyes, an arrangement which lasted virtually ten years. The present administrative structure is based on dispositions effected in 1800.

During the nineteenth century and well into the first part of the twentieth century, the village experienced a steady prosperity based on the spinning and starching industries.


Julien Absalon, a mountain biker born in 1980 at nearby Remiremont, grew up at Raon-aux-Bois.

See also



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.