World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rishworth Branch

Article Id: WHEBN0020572259
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rishworth Branch  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sowerby Bridge railway station, Pickle Bridge Line, Skipton to Ilkley Line, Rosedale Railway, Selby to Driffield Line
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Rishworth Branch

Rishworth branch
Overview
Status disused
Locale West Yorkshire, England
Termini Sowerby Bridge
Rishworth
Operation
Opening 1 July 1878 (goods)
Closed 8 July 1929 (passenger)
Owner Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
Technical
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge

The Rishworth branch was built by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and linked Sowerby Bridge with Rishworth and served the villages of Triangle, Ripponden, Barkisland and Rishworth.[1]

History

A branch from Sowerby Bridge to Ripponden was authorised in 1865, with an extension to Rishworth authorised in 1871. The line opened as far as Ripponden in 1878 and to Rishworth in 1881. It was intended to extend the line to Littleborough to shorten the Calder Valley main line by 5 miles (8.0 km), but this never took place. The branch line was closed to passengers on 8 July 1929. The section between Rishworth and Ripponden closed for freight in 1953 and Ripponden to Sowerby Bridge closed completely on 1 September 1958

Route

The line left Sowerby Bridge a little to the west of the station, diverging south. It passed through the 593 yards (542 m) Scar Head tunnel, rising on a 1 in 107 gradient to Triangle. From Triangle to Rishworth the gradient increased to 1 in 60.

Present day

Part of the trackbed is now a permissive bridleway. A section of the line south west from Ripponden village is a permissive footpath.[2]

References

  1. ^ Joy, David (1984). A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain Volume VIII South and West Yorkshire. David St John Thomas.  
  2. ^ "Railway Ramblers Calderdale - L&YR SOWERBY BRIDGE - RISHWORTH (3½ miles)". Retrieved 15 May 2009. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.