World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Rocquencourt

Rocquencourt
Town hall
Town hall
Coat of arms of Rocquencourt
Coat of arms
Rocquencourt is located in France
Rocquencourt
Rocquencourt
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Île-de-France
Department Yvelines
Arrondissement Versailles
Canton Le Chesnay
Intercommunality Grand Parc
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2013) Hubert Chesnot
Area1 2.78 km2 (1.07 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 3,333
 • Density 1,200/km2 (3,100/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 78524 / 78150
Elevation 114–179 m (374–587 ft)
(avg. 150 m or 490 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Rocquencourt is a commune in the Yvelines department in the Île-de-France in north-central France, about 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) north-west of Versailles and 19 kilometres (12 mi) west of center Paris.

The commune is mainly known as the location of a research unit of INRIA (in the Domaine de Voluceau, formerly Camp Voluceau, used by SHAPE) as well as a freeway exchange known as the Rocquencourt Triangle (triangle de Rocquencourt), which is often mentioned in traffic news.

History

On 1 July 1815, Napoleon's Grande Armée fought its last battle in Rocquencourt and Le Chesnay. After the defeat of Waterloo on 18 June 1815, Grouchy's army withdrew to Paris via Namur and Dinant, reaching Paris on 29 June, a few days before the Prussians, who camped at Versailles.

While negotiating the final armistice, Exelmans was ordered to attack the Prussians at Versailles on 1 July 1815. Under attack the Prussians retreated from Versailles and headed east, but were blocked by the French at Vélizy. They failed to re-enter Versailles and headed for Saint-Germain-en-Laye.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.