World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Roman Catholic Diocese of Vác

Article Id: WHEBN0007147507
Reproduction Date:

Title: Roman Catholic Diocese of Vác  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sülysáp, Roman Catholic dioceses in Hungary, Roman Catholicism in Hungary, Vác, József Mindszenty
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Roman Catholic Diocese of Vác

Diocese of Vác
Dioecesis Vaciensis
Váci Egyházmegye
The Cathedral of the Assumption and St Michael
Location
Country Hungary
Ecclesiastical province Eger
Metropolitan Archdiocese of Eger
Statistics
Area 8,800 km2 (3,400 sq mi)
Population
- Total
- Catholics
(as of 2014)
1,116,000
640,000 (57.3%)
Parishes 220
Information
Denomination Roman Catholic
Rite Latin Rite
Established 11th century
Cathedral The Cathedral of the Assumption and St Michael in Vác
Patron saint St Michael
St Stephen I
Current leadership
Pope Francis
Bishop Miklós Beer
Metropolitan Archbishop Csaba Ternyák
Auxiliary Bishops Lajos Varga
Map
Map of the Diocese
Map of the Diocese
Website
Website of the Diocese

The Roman Catholic diocese of Vác, (Latin: Dioecesis Vaciensis) is a diocese of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic church in Hungary. The diocese was created in 1008 by St. Stephen, the first King of Hungary. Originally known as the diocese of Waitzen in German, it is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Eger. The current bishop is Miklós Beer who was appointed in 2003.

History

Its first bishops were Clement, Lazarus, and Aaron. Lazarus is believed to have been bishop from 1075–77; Stephen was known to have been bishop in 1102. Beginning with Marcellus (1105–19), the series of bishops is uninterrupted. Particularly notable early bishops of Vác include: Johannes de Surdis (1363–73), ambassador of King Louis I to Italy in 1369, later on Archbishop of Esztergom; Vincent Szilassy (1450–73), a member of the embassy which brought the newly elected King Matthias Corvinus from Prague to Vác; Wladislaw Szalkai (1514–23), chancellor of King Louis II and afterwards Archbishop of Esztergom; Martinus Pethe (1582–86), transferred to Kalocsa.

Later important bishops include Sigismund Kolonits (1709–16), transferred to Vienna, and first Archbishop of Vienna; Count Michael Althann (1718–34), sent as viceroy to Sicily by Emperor Charles VI, and afterwards cardinal; Count Christopher Migazzi, cardinal and Archbishop of Vienna, twice Bishop of Vác (1756–57); 1762–82); Augustinus Roskoványi (1851–59), an eminent theological writer, transferred to Nyitra in 1859. Roskoványi was succeeded by Anthony Peitler, 1859–85, who founded the library at Vác. In 1900 Count Charles Csáky became bishop.

In 1514, when the Ottoman Turks conquered Vác, the cathedral chapter ceased to exist, but was re-established in 1700.

In the early 20th century, the diocese included parts of the counties of Nógrád, Pest, Csongrád and Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok, divided into three archdeaconries and nineteen vice-archdeaconries. Within the diocese were five titular abbeys, four provostships and six titular provostships. The chapter had twelve canons and six titular canons. The number of parishes iwas 123; that of the clergy, 266. The right of patronage was exercised by 44 patrons. The diocese included 7 monasteries and 12 nunneries, with altogether 232 inmates. The Catholic population was 757,827.

Ordinaries

Source

 This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.