World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Rose Hill, Garland, Texas

Article Id: WHEBN0016857190
Reproduction Date:

Title: Rose Hill, Garland, Texas  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Garland, Texas, Rose Hill
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Rose Hill, Garland, Texas

Rose Hill is an area located in southeast Garland, Texas, United States. It was formerly a distinct unincorporated community in Dallas County until annexed by Garland in 1970.

The community was first settled in 1853 and composed of land grants by John Little, W.S. Peques, and J.W. Smith. It was named Rose Hill in 1931 either in honor of early settler P.W. Rose or after roses found at the local churchyard. The population was 117 in 1904 and diminished to 50 by 1910. It had featured a post office (1884-1906) as well as four stores, two churches, a school, a restaurant, a blacksmith, and approximately twenty residences. The population gradually increased to 175 in 1964, the last recorded population number until annexation by Garland six years later.

External links

  • Handbook of Texas

Coordinates: 32°51′11.25″N 96°35′12.86″W / 32.8531250°N 96.5869056°W / 32.8531250; -96.5869056


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.