World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Royal New Ground

 

Royal New Ground

Coordinates: 50°49′52″N 0°09′50″W / 50.831°N 0.164°W / 50.831; -0.164

Royal New Ground
Location Brighton, Sussex
Home club Brighton Cricket Club
County club Sussex (pre-county club) and Sussex CCC
Established July 1814
Last used September 1847

The Royal New Ground, also known as "Box's Ground", in Brighton, Sussex was a venue for first-class cricket matches from 1814 to 1847.

The ground was the home of Brighton Cricket Club and became the county ground of Sussex CCC when this was formed in 1839. A total of 49 first-class matches were played there until September 1847.[1]

From 1848 to 1871, Sussex CCC used the Royal Brunswick Ground in Brighton, also known as C H Gausden's Ground.[2] Since 1872, the club has been based at the County Cricket Ground, Hove, its present home.

References

External links

  • CricketArchive – first-class matches at the Royal New Ground
  • Sussex CCC website

Further reading

  • Derek Birley, A Social History of English Cricket, Aurum, 1999
  • Arthur Haygarth, Scores & Biographies, Volumes 1-3 (1744-1848), Lillywhite, 1862


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.