World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Rutter's

Rutter's Farm Stores
Private, owned by Rutter's Holdings, Inc.
Industry Convenience store
Founded 1967
Founder George & Bud Rutter
Headquarters York, Pennsylvania, USA
Products Coffee, Sandwiches, Prepared Foods, Gasoline, Beverages, Dairy Products, Iced Teas
Number of employees
1250
Website Official Site

Rutter's Farm Stores is a chain of convenience stores/gas stations with 56 locations in the counties of York, Lancaster, Dauphin, Cumberland, Adams, and Franklin, all in south-central Pennsylvania.

Contents

  • Overview 1
  • History 2
  • Food service 3
  • Fuel 4
  • Slogan 5
  • External links 6

Overview

Rutter's opened due to increase sales from their dairy. Today, Rutter's produces milk and iced tea at their dairy. All locations that sell gasoline have self-serve pumps. All locations feature a surcharge-free ATM and select locations include car washes. Newer superstores being built have a large deli that sells sandwiches, wraps, fajitas, strombolis, oriental food, and a lot of deep fried food.

Typical signage at a Rutter's gas station.

History

Rutter’s traces its roots to 1747, when William Penn’s grandson deeded farmland in York County to the Rutter family. George and Bud Rutter – the “Rutter Brothers” – grew up on the family homestead. They sold their farm products – on their first day in 1921, eight quarts of milk from a horse-drawn wagon – to the public and were the sole employees in the early days.

In 1938, the government fined Rutter Brothers Dairy for having too much butterfat in its milk. What initially seemed like a setback turned into a very good thing for a fledgling dairy as the public learned that Rutter’s had been cited for having too much of a good thing.

George and Bud set a standard for high quality and customer service that guides Rutter’s nine decades later. Rutter’s Dairy is the lone fluid dairy left in York County, spending more than $12.5 million annually to purchase milk from area farms. Rutter’s Dairy serves Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey.

Rutter’s Farm Stores debuted in 1967 as an additional outlet for Rutter’s Dairy products. Today, Rutter’s Farm Stores has more than 55 stores in York, Lancaster, Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin and Franklin counties.

In 2005, Rutter’s Holdings Inc. was formed as a parent company for the three operating companies: Rutter’s Dairy, Rutter’s Farm Stores and M&G Realty.

For its contributions to central Pennsylvania’s business community – in the form of leadership, innovation and growth – Rutter’s Holdings was named the Central Penn Business Journal’s Business of the Year for 2005. Rutter’s Holdings also ranked fifth on the Central Penn Business Journal’s 2006 list of the Top 100 Privately Held Companies in central Pennsylvania.

Food service

Rutter's Deli offers many different types of food that is made to order. The deli offers Sandwiches, Subs, Burgers, Salads, Soups, Kids Meals, and at some locations, Stir Fry.

Fuel

All Rutter stores feature three grades of gasoline, most offer kerosene, and many offer diesel.

Slogan

Rutter's current slogan is "Why Go Anywhere Else?"

External links

  • Official Site
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.