World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0006002623
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sts-130  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of space travelers by nationality, STS-131, Space Shuttle Endeavour, STS-127, STS-132
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Endeavour launches on its penultimate mission
Mission type ISS assembly
Operator NASA
COSPAR ID 2010-004A
SATCAT № 36394
Mission duration 13 days, 18 hours, 6 minutes, 24 seconds[1][2][3]
Distance travelled 9,250,000 kilometres (5,750,000 mi)
Orbits completed 217
Spacecraft properties
Spacecraft Space Shuttle Endeavour
Launch mass 2,051,127 kilograms (4,521,961 lb) (total)[4]
121,320 kilograms (267,470 lb) (orbiter)
Landing mass 91,033 kilograms (200,694 lb)
Crew size 6
Members George D. Zamka
Terry Virts
Kathryn P. Hire
Stephen Robinson
Robert L. Behnken
Nicholas Patrick
Start of mission
Launch date 8 February 2010, 09:14 (2010-02-08T09:14Z) UTC[5][6]
Launch site Kennedy LC-39A
End of mission
Landing date Did not recognize date. Try slightly modifying the date in the first parameter. UTC
Landing site Kennedy SLF Runway 15
Orbital parameters
Reference system Geocentric
Regime Low Earth
Perigee 341 kilometres (212 mi)
Apogee 356 kilometres (221 mi)
Inclination 51.6 degrees
Period 92 minutes
Docking with ISS
Docking port PMA-2
(Harmony forward)
Docking date 10 February 2010, 05:26 UTC
Undocking date 20 February 2010, 00:54 UTC
Time docked 9 days, 19 hours, 28 minutes

Seated (l–r) Virts and Zamka. Standing (l–r) are Patrick, Behnken, Hire and Robinson.

Space Shuttle program
← STS-129 STS-131

STS-130 (ISS assembly flight 20A)[7] was a NASA Space Shuttle mission to the International Space Station (ISS). Space Shuttle Endeavour's primary payloads were the Tranquility module and the Cupola, a robotic control station with six windows around its sides and another in the center, providing a 360-degree view around the station.[8] Endeavour launched at 04:14 EST (09:14 UTC) on 8 February 2010[5] and landed at 22:22 EST on 21 February 2010 on runway 15 at the Kennedy Space Center's Shuttle Landing Facility.


Position[9] Astronaut
Commander George D. Zamka
Second spaceflight
Pilot Terry Virts
First spaceflight
Mission Specialist 1 Kathryn P. Hire
Second spaceflight
Mission Specialist 2 Stephen K. Robinson
Fourth spaceflight
Mission Specialist 3 Robert L. Behnken
Second spaceflight
Mission Specialist 4 Nicholas Patrick
Second spaceflight

Mission payload

Location Cargo Mass
Bays 1–2 Orbiter Docking System
EMU 3004 / EMU 3005
1,800 kilograms (4,000 lb)
~260 kilograms (570 lb)
Bay 3P Shuttle Power
Distribution Unit (SPDU)
~17 kilograms (37 lb)
Bay 7P APC/SPDU 18 kilograms (40 lb)
Bay 7 Cupola 1,805 kilograms (3,979 lb)
Bays 8–12 Tranquility Node 13,004 kilograms (28,669 lb)
Starboard Sill Orbiter Boom Sensor System ~382 kilograms (842 lb)
Port Sill Canadarm 201 410 kilograms (900 lb)
Total: 17,696 kilograms (39,013 lb)

STS-130 carried Tranquility and the Cupola to the International Space Station.[10] Tranquility was shipped from the Thales Alenia Space facility in Turin, Italy. It arrived at Kennedy Space Center on 21 May 2009. It was formerly known as Node 3, and was named by a NASA poll.[11]

Shuttle processing

Endeavour arrives at Pad 39A on 6 January 2010 for the STS 130 mission.

Space Shuttle Endeavour was moved from her hangar in the Orbiter Processing Facility 2 to the Vehicle Assembly Building High bay 1 on 11 December 2009.[12][13] Roll over began at 13:00 EST and was completed 1 hour and 5 minutes later at 14:05 EST.

Endeavour moved from the Vehicle Assembly Building to launch pad 39A. The process started at 04:13 EST on 6 January 2010. Before rolling out to the launch pad, engineers at Kennedy Space Center had an extended preparation time to get Endeavour ready to move to the launch pad due to the unusually cold weather. The 3.4 miles (5.5 km) was completed at 10:37 EST. The trip took 6hrs 24min.

Launch attempts

The first launch attempt was scheduled for 04:39:00 EST 7 February 2010, but was scrubbed due to clouds over the Kennedy Space Center. The second launch attempt was successful at 04:14:08 EST (9:14:08 UTC) 8 February 2010. Forecasters originally predicted a 70% chance of favorable launch weather conditions,[14] but that degraded to 30% hours before the planned launch due to low clouds.[15]

Attempt Planned Result Turnaround Reason Decision point Weather go (%) Notes
1 7 Feb 2010, 4:39:50 am Scrubbed --- Weather (clouds) 7 Feb 2010, 4:30 am(T– 9:00 Hold) 70%[16] – 30%[15] Weather at RTLS Abort Landing Site
2 8 Feb 2010, 4:14:08 am Successful 0 days, 23 hours, 34 minutes 60%[16][17]

Mission milestones

Mission poster

The mission marked:[18]

  • 161st NASA manned space flight
  • 130th shuttle mission since STS-1
  • 24th flight of Endeavour
  • 32nd shuttle mission to the ISS
  • 10th flight of Endeavour to the ISS
  • 1st shuttle flight in 2010
  • 105th post-Challenger mission
  • 17th post-Columbia mission
  • 34th night launch of a shuttle, 21st night launch from launch pad 39A

Mission timeline

8 February (Flight Day 1: Launch)

Launch video (10 min 12 secs)

Endeavour launched successfully at 4:14:08 EST (9:14:08 UTC). When Endeavour lifted off, the space station was traveling about 212 miles over western Romania.[19] Once in orbit the crew opened the payload bay doors, activated the radiators and deployed the Ku band antenna. Nick Patrick and Kay Hire then proceeded to activate, did a check out of the Shuttle Robotic Arm (SRMS) and then conducted a survey of the payload bay. The crew was also successful in down-linking imagery and video of the external tank to the ground.

9 February (Flight Day 2)

Most of the crew day was spent on conducting the standard inspection of the George Zamka during docking.

10 February (Flight Day 3: Rendezvous with ISS)

During the first part of the crew's workday, they performed a series of burns to catch up and dock with the International Space Station (ISS). Once the shuttle was 600 feet (180 m) below the ISS, commander George Zamka began what is known as the Rendezvous Pitch Maneuver (RPM). During the maneuver, ISS commander T.J. Creamer picked up the OBSS boom and handed it off to the space shuttle robot arm using the station's SSRMS or Canadarm2. The shuttle arm was operated by Kay Hire and pilot Terry Virts.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.