World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sacro Cuore di Maria

Article Id: WHEBN0008053024
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sacro Cuore di Maria  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Julius Darmaatmadja, List of titular churches in Rome, Arcadio Larraona Saralegui
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sacro Cuore di Maria

Sacro Cuore Immacolato di Maria (Sacred Immaculate Heart of Mary), is a titular church in Piazza Euclide, Rome. It was built by the architect Armando Brasini (1879 - 1965). Its construction began in 1923 with the design of a Greek cross inscribed in a circle with an articulated facade, and completed before 1936, the year in which it was made a parish church and granted to the Congregation of Missionary Sons of the Sacred Immaculate Heart of Mary, usually known as the Claretians. (A grand dome was planned, but never realised - a smaller drum was completed in 1951.)

In the baptistry there are modern paintings by the Armenian Gregorio Sciltian (1900-1985).

Pope John XXIII elevated it to the rank of Minor Basilica in May 1959, and Pope Paul VI made it a titular church in February 1965, with Ángel Herrera Oria as the first titular. The present titular priest is Julius Riyadi Darmaatmadja S.J., appointed in 1994.

External links

  • Nyborg

Coordinates: 41°55′38.56″N 12°28′51.88″E / 41.9273778°N 12.4810778°E / 41.9273778; 12.4810778Template:Italy-RC-church-stub

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.