World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saint-Cyr-l'École

Article Id: WHEBN0000441760
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saint-Cyr-l'École  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Colette Deréal, Maison royale de Saint-Louis, Françoise d'Aubigné, Marquise de Maintenon, Route nationale, Communes of Yvelines
Collection: Communes of Yvelines
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Saint-Cyr-l'École

Saint-Cyr-l'École
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Île-de-France
Department Yvelines
Arrondissement Versailles
Canton Saint-Cyr-l'École
Intercommunality Grand Parc
Government
 • Mayor (2009 - 2013) Bernard Debain
Area1 5.01 km2 (1.93 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 16,365
 • Density 3,300/km2 (8,500/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 78545 / 78210
Elevation 99–174 m (325–571 ft)
(avg. 158 m or 518 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Saint-Cyr-l'École is a commune in the western suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 21.4 km (13.3 mi) from the center of Paris.

It used to host the training school for officers of the French army, the École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr (ESM), which was relocated to Coëtquidan in 1945. The old buildings of the ESM are now used by the lycée militaire de Saint-Cyr (military high school of Saint-Cyr).

Inhabitants are called Saint-Cyriens.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • History 2
  • Twin towns — sister cities 3
  • Transport 4

Geography

Saint-Cyr lies in the arrondissement of Versailles, west of the Park of Versailles.

History

King Louis XIV of France, at the request of Madame de Maintenon, founded Maison royale de Saint-Louis, an institute for poor young ladies.[1] It later became a military hospital. Napoleon I founded the military academy for infantry and cavalry officers in 1808.

The tomb of Madame de Maintenon lies in the Chapel.

Twin towns — sister cities

Transport

Stampe SV.4 training biplanes at the airfield in 1957

Saint-Cyr-l'École is served by [[

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.