World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saint-Gengoux-le-National

Article Id: WHEBN0012894583
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saint-Gengoux-le-National  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Saône-et-Loire department, Mâconnais, Arrondissement of Mâcon, Weisenheim am Berg, Grosne (river)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Saint-Gengoux-le-National

Saint-Gengoux-le-National

Coat of arms
Saint-Gengoux-le-National
Saint-Gengoux-le-National

Coordinates: 46°36′53″N 4°39′49″E / 46.6147°N 4.6636°E / 46.6147; 4.6636Coordinates: 46°36′53″N 4°39′49″E / 46.6147°N 4.6636°E / 46.6147; 4.6636

Country France
Region Burgundy
Department Saône-et-Loire
Arrondissement Mâcon
Canton Saint-Gengoux-le-National
Intercommunality Entre Grosne et Guye
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Joêl Pierre
Area
 • Land1 9.36 km2 (3.61 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 1,085
 • Population2 density 120/km2 (300/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 71417 / 71460
Elevation 193–390 m (633–1,280 ft)
(avg. 232 m or 761 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Saint-Gengoux-le-National is a commune in the Saône-et-Loire department in the region of Bourgogne in eastern France.

It was formerly known as Saint-Gengoux-le-Royal.

History


In the 10th century, the church of Saint-Gengoux was given to the abbey of Cluny. In the 12th century, the abbot of Cluny requested king Louis VII install a lord of the manor with Saint-Gengoux in order to ensure the safety of the city.

At the revolution, Saint-Gengoux-le-Royal took the name of Saint-Gengoux-le-National. It reverted to Saint-Gengoux-le-Royal is 1834, Saint-Gengoux-le-National in 1848, Saint-Gengoux-le-Royal in 1852 before finally settling on Saint-Gengoux-le-National in 1881.

Geography

The river Grosne forms part of the commune's south-eastern border.

Notable buildings

The church was built in 1120 by the Benedictines of Cluny. It measures 41 m in length and 16 m wide. It was plundered several times and has been heavily restored. The most recent enhancement has been the replacement of the metal bridge between the towers with a wooden one, more in keeping with the Burgundian style. In 1802, three vaults contiguous to the church were destroyed to build a corn exchange on their site.

There are many historic properties from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

Transport

The railway station at Saint-Gengoux-le-National was opened in 1880 on the Chalon-sur-Saône to Mâcon railway line.

After the closure of the railway, in 1996 the 44 km of trackbed from Givry to Cluny has been paved and converted into a cycle route known as the Voie Verte. There are several locations along the route where cycles may be hired, including the station at Saint-Gengoux-le-National.

See also

References

  • INSEE
  • Histoire de Saint Gengoux le Royale, Marie de Saint Gengoux le National, 2005.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.