World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Saint-Julien-de-Crempse

Article Id: WHEBN0015578024
Reproduction Date:

Title: Saint-Julien-de-Crempse  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Communes of the Dordogne department, Saint-Julien, Allied war crimes during World War II, Arrondissement of Bergerac
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Saint-Julien-de-Crempse

Saint-Julien-de-Crempse

Coat of arms
Saint-Julien-de-Crempse
Saint-Julien-de-Crempse

Coordinates: 44°57′10″N 0°31′31″E / 44.9528°N 0.5253°E / 44.9528; 0.5253Coordinates: 44°57′10″N 0°31′31″E / 44.9528°N 0.5253°E / 44.9528; 0.5253

Country France
Region Aquitaine
Department Dordogne
Arrondissement Bergerac
Canton Villamblard
Intercommunality Pays de Villamblard
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Annick Gay
Area
 • Land1 11.18 km2 (4.32 sq mi)
Population (2008)
 • Population2 201
 • Population2 density 18/km2 (47/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 24431 / 24140
Elevation 87–188 m (285–617 ft)
(avg. 150 m or 490 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Saint-Julien-de-Crempse is a commune in the Dordogne department in Aquitaine in southwestern France.

History

During World War II the surrounding countryside may have been home to as many as 60 separate cells of the French Resistance. Saint-Julien was a hiding place for Resistance fighters, and one Maquis leader had his base in the village. On 9 August 1944, 17 villagers from Saint-Julien were executed by the Germans as reprisal for Resistance activities in the area. On 10 September 1944, 17 German prisoners of war were collected by French Resistance members and executed near Saint-Julien as a revenge killing.[1]

Population

See also

References

  • INSEE
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.