World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Felice, Florence

Article Id: WHEBN0000856670
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Felice, Florence  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Gothic architecture in Florence, Churches in Florence, Filippo Brunelleschi, Oratory of Gesù Pellegrino, Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Felice, Florence

Church of Saint Felix
(Chiesa di San Felice in Piazza)
Exterior from the Piazza San Felice.
Basic information
Location Florence, Italy
Geographic coordinates
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Florence
Architectural description
Architectural type Church
Architectural style Renaissance façade
The interior

The Chiesa di San Felice (Church of St Felix) is a Roman Catholic church in Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy. It is located on the south bank of the River Arno, just west of the Pitti Palace. It is predominantly Gothic, but has a Renaissance façade by Michelozzo, added in 1457. Over the high altar is a large Crucifix attributed to Giotto or his school.

A church at the site was built about the 10th-century outside one of the gates of early walls of Florence. It first belonged to the Monastery of San Silvestro of Nonantola, and in 1413 it was transferred to the Camaldolese Order. In 1552, it became property of the Dominican nuns of San Pietro Martire. The church provided a sanctuary to women fleeing from abusive husbands.

The interior had a Madonna with Child and Saints by Ridolfo Ghirlandaio. Another chapel has a fresco by Giovanni da San Giovanni, depicting San Felice reviving St Massimo; the angels gathering the grapes in the painting are by Baldassare Franceschini. It had a triptych (1467) by Neri di Bicci, depicting St Augustin and St John Baptist, and St Julian and King St Sigismond. Another chapel had a Madonna and Child with St Hyacinth, by Jacopo da Empoli.[1] The church has a Last Supper by Matteo Rosselli.

Gallery

References

  1. ^ Saunterings in Florence: a new artistic and practical hand-book, by Elvira Griffin, page 378.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.