World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

San Salvi

Article Id: WHEBN0006100611
Reproduction Date:

Title: San Salvi  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Via Camillo Cavour, Torre degli Alberti, Loggia del Pesce, Torre degli Amidei, Giardino dell'Iris
Collection: 11Th-Century Churches, Churches in Florence
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

San Salvi

Church of San Michele a San Salvi
(Chiesa di San Michele in San Salvi)
San Salvi in Florence
Basic information
Location Florence, Italy
Affiliation Roman Catholic
Province Florence
Architectural description
Architectural type Church

San Salvi, also known as San Michele a San Salvi, is a church in Florence, Italy.

The church was built in the 11th century by the Vallombrosans as part of an abbey complex. During the 1529 Siege of Florence, the church was partially destroyed. It was reconstructed in accordance with its original style with the exception of the portico which was built with a 16th-century style. The interior of the church is of a single aisle, Latin-cross design with a rectangular apse.[1] The refectory contains a masterwork fresco of the Last Supper (1519-1527) by Andrea del Sarto.

References

  1. ^

External links

  • The Museums of Florence - Last Supper of San Salvi

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.