World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sandford St. Martin

Article Id: WHEBN0028022665
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sandford St. Martin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Steeple Barton, West Oxfordshire, River Dorn, Madley Park, Swinbrook and Widford
Collection: Civil Parishes in Oxfordshire, Villages in Oxfordshire, West Oxfordshire
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sandford St. Martin

Sandford St. Martin

St. Martin's parish church
Sandford St. Martin is located in Oxfordshire
Sandford St. Martin
Sandford St. Martin
 Sandford St. Martin shown within Oxfordshire
Population 210 (2001 census)[1]
OS grid reference
Civil parish Sandford St. Martin
District West Oxfordshire
Shire county Oxfordshire
Region South East
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town Chipping Norton
Postcode district OX7
Dialling code 01608
Police Thames Valley
Fire Oxfordshire
Ambulance South Central
EU Parliament South East England
UK Parliament Banbury
List of places
UK
England
Oxfordshire

Sandford St. Martin is a village and civil parish in West Oxfordshire about 6.5 miles (10.5 km) east of Chipping Norton and about 9 miles (14 km) south of Banbury.

The village was known as Sandford until about 1884, when the suffix St. Martin was added to distinguish the village from other local settlements with similar names.[2] The village is centred on a former ford on Tyte brook, a tributary of the River Dorn.

References

  1. ^ "Area selected: West Oxfordshire (Non-Metropolitan District)". Neighbourhood Statistics: Full Dataset View.  
  2. ^ Crossley et al. 1983, pp. 169–181.

Sources and further reading

  • Crossley, Alan (ed.); Baggs, A.P.; Colvin, Christina;  
  • Emery, Frank (1974). The Oxfordshire Landscape. The Making of the English Landscape. London:  
  • Marshall, Edward (1866). An Account of the Parish of Sandford in the Deanery of Woodstock. James Parker and Co. 
  • Sherwood, Jennifer;  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.