World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sant'Antonio da Padova in Via Merulana

Article Id: WHEBN0028926814
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sant'Antonio da Padova in Via Merulana  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Cláudio Hummes, List of basilicas in Italy, António Ribeiro, List of titular churches in Rome, Basilica of Saint Anthony of Padua, Peter Doi
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sant'Antonio da Padova in Via Merulana

Church of Saint Anthony of Padua on Via Merulana
Sant'Antonio da Padova all'Esquilino (Italian)
S. Antonii Patavini de Urbe (Latin)

Facade of Sant'Antonio da Padova in Via Merulana.

Basic information
Location Italy Rome, Italy
Geographic coordinates 41°53′19.71″N 12°30′14.2″E / 41.8888083°N 12.503944°E / 41.8888083; 12.503944Coordinates: 41°53′19.71″N 12°30′14.2″E / 41.8888083°N 12.503944°E / 41.8888083; 12.503944

Affiliation Roman Catholic
Year consecrated 1888
Ecclesiastical or organizational status Minor basilica
Leadership Cláudio Hummes
Website Official website
Architectural description
Architect(s) Luca Carimini
Architectural type Church
Groundbreaking 1884
Completed 1888

For the basilica church of the same name in Padua, see Basilica of Saint Anthony of Padua

The Church of Saint Anthony of Padua on Via Merulana (Italian: Sant'Antonio da Padova all'Esquilino, Latin: S. Antonii Patavini de Urbe) is a Roman Catholic titular church in Rome, built for the Order of Friars Minor, who needed a new home after they were moved from Santa Maria in Aracoelito allow the construction of the Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II.

The church was elevated to minor basilica status in 1931.[1]

On the 12 March 1960 Pope John XXIII granted it a titular church as a seat for Cardinals.[2] The present Cardinal Priest of the Titulus San Antonii Patavini de Urbe is Cláudio Hummes.

Architecture

Two staircases provide access to the gantry of the church, where stands a statue of Saint Anthony of Padua, holding the Christ Child. Inside, the church is constructed of three naves, divided by two columns of pillars made of pink marble.

List of Cardinal Priests

Notes

References

  • , Roma 1891
  • C. Rendina, Le Chiese di Roma, Newton & Compton Editori, Milano 2000, p. 37
  • C. Cerchiai, Rione XV Esquilino, in AA.VV, I rioni di Roma, Newton & Compton Editori, Milano 2000, Vol. III, pp. 968-1014
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.