World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Scarborough Junction

Article Id: WHEBN0006583369
Reproduction Date:

Title: Scarborough Junction  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Eglinton East, Clairlea, Ionview, History of neighbourhoods in Toronto, Midland Avenue Collegiate Institute
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Scarborough Junction

Scarborough Junction
Neighbourhood
Houses in Scarborough Junction
Houses in Scarborough Junction
Coordinates:
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto
Community Scarborough
Changed Municipality 1998 Toronto from Scarborough
Government
 • MP Dan Harris (Scarborough Southwest)
 • MPP Lorenzo Berardinetti (Scarborough Southwest)
 • Councillor Michelle Berardinetti (Ward 35 Scarborough Southwest)

Scarborough Junction (also known as Kennedy Park) is a neighbourhood in the Scarborough district of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is bordered by Birchmount Road, Brimley Road, Eglinton Avenue, and St. Clair Avenue.[1]

Contents

  • History 1
  • Schools 2
  • References 3
  • Further reading 4

History

The first European settlement in the area was the town of Strangford established at what is today the intersection of Victoria Park and St. Clair in 1863. Another small town named Mortlake was established in 1865. The town's main building, the Halfway House Hotel, survives today at Black Creek Pioneer Village where it was moved in 1962. The small farming communities changed when the area became the meeting point of two major railways. The Grand Trunk Railway laid track through the area in 1856 and the Toronto and Nipissing Railway arrived in 1873. The business of the area changed from farming to supporting travellers and maintaining the railroads. The two towns, Strangford and Mortlake, merged into Scarborough Junction. By 1896 Scarborough Junction became the most populated of all the villages in the Township of Scarborough.

The post-World War II years saw Scarborough Junction become one of the first areas of Scarborough to be transformed into modern suburbs. Its major road and rail lines made for easy travel to the city.

Schools

  • Corvette Junior Public School
  • Glen Ravine Junior Public School
  • J.G. Workman Public School
  • Lord Roberts Junior Public School
  • St. Maria Goretti Catholic School is a Catholic school as the largest Catholic school in Toronto. It opened in 1955 named after Maria Goretti and boasts a double gymnasium with a stage, closed circuit television in every classroom, an elevator and an assembly area named the "Ark'" which can be used for gatherings of up to 300 people.
  • Midland Avenue Collegiate Institute, the neighborhood's first high school opened in 1962 and closed in 2000 with many modernist design features such as a circular cafeteria.
  • Norman Cook Junior Public School
  • Robert Service Senior Public School
  • Walter Perry Junior Public School

References

  1. ^ Jeff Gray (2005-01-07). "Report finds shortchanged neighbourhoods".  
  • Scarborough Historical Society - Scarborough Junction (Strangford & Mortlake)

Further reading

  • "Kennedy Park neighbourhood profile". City of Toronto. Retrieved 2007-12-27. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.