World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Schloss Hetzendorf

Article Id: WHEBN0004172153
Reproduction Date:

Title: Schloss Hetzendorf  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Palais Augarten, Vienna Museum, Hermesvilla, Vienna, Achilleion (Corfu)
Collection: Buildings and Structures in Meidling, Palaces in Vienna
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Schloss Hetzendorf

Facade facing the park
Sala terrena

Schloss Hetzendorf is a baroque palace in Hetzendorf, Meidling, Vienna that was used by the imperial Habsburg family.

History

The building was originally a hunting lodge. It was refashioned by the architect Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt. Empress Maria Theresa had it enlarged in 1743 by Nicolò Pacassi for her mother, Empress Elizabeth Christine, who lived here from 1743 until her death in 1750. A prominent feature of the palace is the entrance hall.

It was here that Maria Carolina of Austria, Queen of Naples died in 1814. She was the favourite sister of Marie Antoinette.

The youngest daughter of Emperor Francis II, Archduchess Maria Anna, lived here from 1835 until her death in 1858.[1] She is said to have been mentallly retarded and to have suffered from a hideous facial deformity.[2]

It was at Hetzendorf that future Empress Zita gave birth to her daughter, Archduchess Adelheid of Austria, in 1914. Adelheid was the second child of Empress Zita and future Emperor Charles I of Austria.

Today it houses a fashion school.

References

  1. ^ Ottillinger, Eva (1997). Kaiserliche Interieurs: die Wohnkultur des Wiener Hofes im 19. Jahrhundert und die Wiener Kunstgewerbereform. Böhlau. p. 219.  
  2. ^ Palmer, Alan (1997). Twilight of the Habsburgs. Atlantic Monthly Press. p. 4.  

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons
  • Modeschule Wien | Schloss Hetzendorf
  • Hetzendorfer Schlosskirche | Schloss Hetzendorf


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.