World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Scott Bar, California

Article Id: WHEBN0027606565
Reproduction Date:

Title: Scott Bar, California  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: California State Route 3, California State Route 96, List of places in California (S), Scott River
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Scott Bar, California

Scott Bar, California
Unincorporated community
Scott Bar, California
Scott Bar, California

Coordinates: 41°44′30″N 123°00′15″W / 41.74167°N 123.00417°W / 41.74167; -123.00417Coordinates: 41°44′30″N 123°00′15″W / 41.74167°N 123.00417°W / 41.74167; -123.00417

Country United States
State California
County Siskiyou
Elevation 1,729 ft (527 m)
Population (2000 U.S. Census)
 • Total 68
Time zone Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)
 • Summer (DST) PDT (UTC-7)
ZIP code 96085
Area code(s) 530
GNIS feature ID 1659610[1]

Scott Bar, formerly Scott River, is an unincorporated community in Siskiyou County, California, United States. The Scott Bar community is located 19 miles west of the town of Yreka and is positioned three miles upstream on the Scott River from the river's termination point as it flows into the larger Klamath River. The Scott River is 60-miles-long.

Scott Bar has a post office with ZIP code 96085.[2] According to the 2000 census, ZIP Code 96085 had a population of 68.[3]

Events are held at the community hall, such as spaghetti feeds as fundraisers for the Scott Bar Children's Association. The community's economy relies mainly on gold prospecting, logging, U.S Forestry services, and Social Security. Scott Bar has an abundance of recreation such as fishing, hunting, swimming, rafting, and skeet shooting. During the summer months, many non-locals can be found visiting the Scott River. They enjoy the recreational amenities of one of California's cleanest and most pristine rivers.


The community of Scott Bar, the Scott River, and nearby Scott Valley were all named after John W. Scott, who discovered gold in the river at Scott Bar in the summer of 1850. A commemorative historical monument located across the road from the community hall has a mounted bronze arrow pointing to the location in the river where Mr. Scott made his discovery.[4] The post office opened as Scott River in 1856 and changed its name to Scott Bar in 1906; it briefly closed between 1944 and 1947. Scott Bar's community hall acted as a one-room elementary school from the early 1900s to the 1950s.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.